Gibson Brands Forums

1988 Les Paul Studio Lite please help

Mushi73

I'm very sorry for disturbing you fine folks here... but I'm new to these forums and new to Les Paul ownership in general.

I just hope I can find out some more info on this Guitar I just bought. I was told by a very knowledgeable shop owner that he thinks he's only seen a guitar like mine one other time. And that's not to say it's like the supreme being of guitars but if you just want to know what kind of pick-ups they are - then you would hope to find out that info. But alas, I can not. I've done what searching I am capable of so far, with what I know.

If there is anybody out there who knows anything, please I'm all ears. I'm very eager to learn more about my new baby!

I'm sorry, apparently I don't know how to post pics as well...

Dang! It's an 88' Studio Lite Black gloss paint all black hardware... Shoot, I'm goin' down in flames here!...

Wait, here it is!

100_2413.jpg

100_2414.jpg

100_2416.jpg

Hey, welcome to the forum man... that guitar looks good, how does she sound through the 5150?

Somehow I dont think it's a studio lite... those came either with 2 humbuckers and with H-S-H configuration... Do you mind posting the serial number? (to see what year she was made and then see what models were out that year).

Thank you very much for the welcome Thundergod, she does sound great thru the 5150!! Very different than my Epiphone Gensis which is my main guitar. The LP produces slightly less distorted gain, but it's very crisp nonetheless. Those pick-ups are 2 mini-humbuckers not singles. I don't know if you could tell form the photos. The electronics are as follows: 2 mini-hums, 1 vol. 1 tone and a coil spilt switch. This thing has the meat and the flavor!

So here is what you asked for:

100_2427.jpg

100_2424.jpg

100_2432.jpg

100_2418.jpg

Nashville plant

June 11th, 1988

Production #65

I don't recognise the pickups, but they resemble the HZ type of EMGs.

Have you looked in the control cavity, or removed the pickups to see if the backs are marked?

=P~

Nashville plant

June 11th' date=' 1988

Production #65

I don't recognise the pickups, but they resemble the HZ type of EMGs.

Have you looked in the control cavity, or removed the pickups to see if the backs are marked?[/quote']

Yes I have, and sadly there was nothing that I could see that would resemble any marking of any sort. Words or otherwise.

That was one of the first things I did. :) By the way, I thought they were emg type pick-ups as well, that one of the things that intrigued me about it in the first place.

Man I really do appreciate the attention on this, I'm dying to find out what YOU guys could possibly uncover.

Thanks alot.

I found this link in another discussion forum. The owner of that one is in the dark also, and was seeking info.

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff159/daveclemo/Gibson%20Les%20Paul%20thinline/

Found this link also, and it seems to describe your guitar better. It seems it is probably a LP Studio Pro Lite II.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Gibson/Les+Paul+Lite+Pro+II/10/1

I found this link in another discussion forum. The owner of that one is in the dark also' date=' and was seeking info.

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff159/daveclemo/Gibson%20Les%20Paul%20thinline/

Found this link also, and it seems to describe your guitar better. It seems it is probably a LP Studio Pro Lite II.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Gibson/Les+Paul+Lite+Pro+II/10/1[/quote']

Dynadude, you are Thee man right now.

That first link was an eye opener, 'cause I didn't know for sure if the knobs on mine were stock, but looking at that one I'm pretty sure they are! Also, wow, his had a Steinberger trem - mine is solid, which I go for anyway. But same pick-ups same paint and hardware scheme, wow! The "thinline" name threw me though wasn't expecting that.

The second link was definitely reassuring, because nobody mentioned a tune-o-matic type bridge or a tail stop piece.

Which means even more so that I'm not gonna see anybody anytime soon playin' my guitar...

Whoo!!

Sorry I think that's the part I'm most excited about right now. Yes! I'm almost speechless. Almost.+:-@

So the name with second link makes me want to research the "pro" 1 version...

Anyways, sorry to ramble on, I did end up taking more pics of the pick-ups and electronics if anybody wants a better look at them. I did this before I got a chance to read Dynadude's post. These may or may not be cool for someone to check out, I don't know but here they are.

100_2438.jpg

100_2439.jpg

100_2440.jpg

100_2441.jpg

100_2445.jpg

100_2448.jpg

100_2449.jpg

Mushi73,

Very cool to see another '88 Les Paul! I own a very rare and unique 1988 LP (Standard) as well. Mine also had stock EMG's, black hardware (tailpiece/bridge/nut/volume-tone knobs/switch/grover tuners) and an ebony fretboard (with trapeziod pearl inlays). It has a solid body, one-piece mahogany neck and a three-piece top.

The neck (shape), headstock (shape/inlays/nut/tuners) and the body (shape) from your guitar looks 100% like mine. Typical for 1988!

Yours is rare as well.

How does she play?

Mushi73' date='

Very cool to see another '88 Les Paul! I own a very rare and unique 1988 LP (Standard) as well. Mine also had stock EMG's, black hardware (tailpiece/bridge/nut/volume-tone knobs/switch/grover tuners) and an ebony fretboard (with trapeziod pearl inlays). It has a [b']solid[/b] body, one-piece mahogany neck and a three-piece top.

The neck (shape), headstock (shape/inlays/nut/tuners) and the body (shape) from your guitar looks 100% like mine. Typical for 1988!

Yours is rare as well.

How does she play?

Right on Bram, that Avitar of yours isn't it, right ? Do you have any pics of it? I'd like to see... it sounds cool.

As for mine she plays great, I can dig into it real hard and heavy if I want to or I pet it and tap it and it responds just like you'd hope it would. I had to set it up this way of course, because where I got from it was in need of some attention, bad!

But no problems after that, those pick-ups are killer! I don't know about them actually being EMGs though, there's no markings that say so. I'm just glad she's in one piece, I also got the Gibson USA case with it, the brown one, it had been gutted, I'm thinking that maybe there was some kind of damage to the lining...

Rock on!

Yes, my avitar is a picture of my 1988 Les Paul.

Here is a picture that I took from the headstock; it's exactly the same as yours.

SILVUUUUUUUUUUUheadstock2.jpg

Another picture (from the body):

SILVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.jpg

SILVUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.jpg

The back from the guitar (body/neck) is all black, just like yours.

O:) Man that thing is beautiful! I really dig the Duncan/P.A.F mix it looks killer! I can almost hear it!

Nice man, nice.

Hey on a side note, I found this site ( one of the many) that specializes in serial number look-ups for Epis Gibsons and 3-4 others, it's kinda cool. You or the other regulars might know it, but it might be of use to the mortals like myself. O:)

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/default.aspx

030709044445.png

That's my guitar their talkin' about! It's a link so click it and check out the site.

Did you happen to take note of the pot and cap values while you had it opened up?

They would give you some clues as to the type of pickups you have.

If you did, post the info so we can help. I'm as curious as you now.

Hi Mushi,

Thanks for your response. I really love the '88 Les Paul.

I tried to open the link about the serial number look-ups

for Epis, but it didn't work for some reason! It's really cool

that you're digging the stock pickups and that they sound

great in the guitar.

• 1 month later...

Hi don't know if anyones still stewing over that weird black Les Paul with the mini humbuckers but i'm about to give you the only imformation that exists on it (i have one too)

Les Paul Studio Lite in Ebony finish 24 frets with tune-o-matic/stopbar (some came with KB-X tailpiece tremolo system licensed by steinberger) in Nashville, Tennessee in 1988.

Made for one year only and available in ebony, white and a very 80's "Nuclear Yellow."

Carved maple top, mahogany back and neck thru body.

The Humbuckers are called Sidewinder in the neck position and L-8 in the bridge position 9listed on retail guide as 1HB 954 AND 1HB 958.)

Suggested retail price according to the release it came with was 974.25 US dollars, or 1154.24 US dollars with vibrola/tremolo system.

Pretty much no information exists about this guitar and i would've otherwise just kept quiet except i was frustrated as hell trying to find anything out when i first got it (paid just over £300 uk, secondhand a few years back, they were never exported over here, only US released, the guy had got it imported years ago) the steinberger on mine was a pain in the backside so i had it permenantly shutdown (you DON'T want to know what i had done..) the guitar is built like a rock and is the most practical les paul i have ever put my hands on. Sounds great, no murky muddy tone of bigger les paul from the same period.

The only thing that rivals it is an Aria pro II custom lc-430 b from '79 which i have. I've owned high end vintage les pauls before and never been that impressed with the murky tones. Anything Gibson produced after about '88 is esentially cheap junk anyway, The studios are now made to low quality they may as well be given away.

So hang onto this one.

Archived