Gibson Brands Forums

squire 51

guitar_randy

A lot has to do with the absolute rid!culous pricing of the Gibson and Fender products.

And modding a cheapo is a great time and a good way to learn your way around the setup and mod process .

A lot has to do with the absolute rid!culous pricing of the Gibson and Fender products.

And modding a cheapo is a great time and a good way to learn your way around the setup and mod process .

I second that emotion! I'd much rather modify a 199 dollar guitar that something ten times it's worth, and I DO learn something everytime I fart around with one. Did intonation on a friends kids cheapo knock-off Telecaster...5 or 6 years ago I wouldn't have had the slightest idea how to do that. And I get a ton of satisfaction out of my modded Epiphone...most of the work I did myself (with the guidance of my techy), and it'll hold it's own against a bunch of Gibsons I've compared it to (I'm no doubt gonna get flamed for that remark), and it "fits" because I got it how I like it.

I have had one since July 2005, it is my beater and it is a great guitar. It has had a cult following for a long time, before the economy turned bad really so that is not the explanation.

You have to pick and choose, it is a cheap guitar and quality will vary.

Mine is a great player but it is my second one, the first one sucked but I saw the potential so I sold the first one and bought another that I could try at the store.

I replaced the pickups and bridge and it is a great guitar, splittable humbucker on the bridge and single coil on the neck covers a lot of ground. I have a GFS 59 on the bridge and a Lace Chrome Dome on the neck. I have made other mods but are more cosmetical.

I love the sound of the humbucker on a 25.5" scale. and then being able to switch to single coil for blues.

I like it better than a travel guitar, with a non-angled headstock, maple neck and tough poly finish body you can pack this thing in a gig bag and leave it in the car, drag it on the beach or leave it outside on the deck without having to worry.

Here is a pic of mine. Modding it has been a learning experience for me.

Guitars068.jpg

I had this Peavey Predator USA strat copy that I got at a pawn shop for 80 bucks for years.I did my first fret job on it and it played great .Painted it rustolium gold and it was my beater.I sold it to a friend who wanted to start playing electric and he moved away.Boy I miss that guitar.I had a Mexican Duo Sonic that was alot of fun too.Gave it to a friends kid.I need to get me another cheap guitar pronto..

And I get a ton of satisfaction out of my modded Epiphone...most of the work I did myself (with the guidance of my techy)' date=' and it'll hold it's own against a bunch of Gibsons I've compared it to (I'm no doubt gonna get flamed for that remark), and it "fits" because I got it how I like it.[/quote']

If anyone flames you for that one, send 'em my way and I'll feed 'em a tooth. For what little I have invested in my bound-neck "Vintage" (that means "faded", although I've polished mine up with some Novus to make it look nice and shiny) G-400, I've got a helluva' good guitar for HALF what people are getting ripped-off for the G-brand "faded" low-end model, and I'd put it up against one any day. Thanks to some GFS '59 zebras (to match the cream binding and all) and a good setup that sucker's becoming my favorite live axe (and thanks to the coil-taps I put on it it's the most versatile SG I've ever played while still remaining quite practical). Bring the haters on, I ain't "skeered". ;)

H-Bomb

Archived