Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a problem?

Gibson79772

So Im looking at a les Paul tribute and came across this crack. The owner is claiming this to only be a scratch? I noticed it’s kinda close to the wiring cavity...would this be a major area of concern, and is there any kind of cheap and quick remedy for this..like glue? Or will it most likely spread with time.

Thanks for your help and input!

8369A409-6908-4EED-8A39-3FA3735897CB.jpeg

Judging by your pic I'm not sure. I suggest removing the back panel and examining inside too. Measure the depth of the routed cavity and see if it matches the suspected crack position. 

Even if it is a crack, I doubt its very serious. I see no reason for it to spread as there is no stress point here. If it is a crack, it most likely was caused by impact. That's why its a good idea to check inside too because the cavity is the logical weak point. 

I can see where you would be concerned if it was a crack. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. but that goes against the grain, so I would have to say it a scratch. If that was a crack, you would see much more collateral damage... Still wouldn't hurt to look in the cavity.