Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Special VOS vs. non-VOS

Luap

Just a new topic. What are the differences between the VOS model, and the non-VOS model? The VOS model is less expensive than the non-VOS. Why? Better wood, electronics, etc. on the non-VOS? Other pickups? Just a better guitar?

Thank you.

And BTW, is a Special good for jazzy, fat tones?

edit: and what about the neck profile, thick or not?

Your thread title is misleading, the Les Paul Special is a flat Les Paul without the carved Maple top.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?base_pid=517279&cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&index=1

Is that what you were thinking?

VOS and gloss finish guitars are all very well made.

I'm assuming the VOS is a little cheaper because they have less time invested in final buffing and shining.

That's all done by hand and reveals any tiny flaws in the finish.

Flaws may have been unseen, or buffing may have been done improperly and caused a finish issue.

Skip all the final labor costs, install hardware with the same less-than-shiny finish, and ship it.

I'm guessing Gibson saves money that way.

It's all marketing.

If I buy a new Les Paul, it better shine like a diamond.

The finish will wear off in my hands.

If you're going to spend that much money, you should spend some time playing a few guitars before you buy one. I see you've made a lot of posts asking questions. In the end, it's what YOU like that matters. Do you like how it sounds, feels, etc. Take your time, think it out.

I think you are right. But' date=' my local guitar shop doesn't have too much guitars, I think I have to buy without playing it before.

Again, my question about the neck profile, and now this.. is this a VOS or not?

http://www.rockshop.de/oshop_PHPSESSID=a00a257c6fc1934221df37c8182352bc_1036555_2007_Gibson-Les-Paul-Special-1960-Single-Cut-TV-Yellow.html[/quote']

B:-"

U:-"

M:-"

P:-"

But there is not less good wood used? Is the VOS-model a less fine instrument? Less fine tone etc?

"Less good wood"? Of course not. As mentioned above' date=' Vintage Original Spec mostly has to do with the finishing and aged hardware treatment. Since I have the link currently in my laptops' cut/paste memory, here is a VOS treatment on my R8's top and hardware.

And here is what Gibson says about the VOS finishes:

"[i']All VOS Les Pauls receive a thinner finish—nitrocellulose lacquer, naturally—which is applied, sanded, and buffed much the way it was back in the day. The result is a guitar that not only looks like the original article, but which breathes and resonates more like a 50-year-old vintage instrument as well.[/i]".

Hope that helps, good luck with your purchase! =D>

005-1.jpg

If you're going to spend that much money' date=' you should spend some time playing a few guitars before you buy one. I see you've made a lot of posts asking questions. In the end, it's what YOU like that matters. Do you like how it sounds, feels, etc. Take your time, think it out.[/quote']

I agree with this advice. The best determining factor is for you to be able to use your own hands and ears to conclude if a certain model is giving you the feel and sound that works for you the best. We can certainly help with which model has what features versus others, but you should also have a grasp of what attributes work for you, and which don't. Again, good luck and have fun. Shopping for a new axe should be enjoyable as much as it is a learning experience too. Let us know what you come up with...

Archived