Gibson Brands Forums

Modifications - What to do, what to do...

Tim Plains

So, I decided to upgrade my Custom.

Great guitar but it's my least favorite sounding Les Paul out of the bunch.

I ordered some parts from RS Guitars:

- Long shaft CTS pots for the Custom

- Short shaft CTS pots (if I ever need replacement pots for one of my historics)

- Repo Tiger caps for the Custom

The plan was originally to replace the pots/caps in my Custom and possibly the pickups.

Today, I made the decision to buy some nice pickups and ordered a pair of *Wolfetone Marshallheads (WM).

Now some ideas are floating around in my head...where to put these pickups?

I have three Les Pauls that I'm willing to mod - the Custom, the R8, & the R9 (not the 50th).

So, here's what I see as my options...I'm open to suggestions.

1. The Custom...

Go with my original plan and put the WMs in my Custom along with the new pots/Tiger caps.

2. The R8...

Put only new pots/caps in the Custom and put the WMs in the R8, along with new pots.

If I do this, I could also throw the Burstbuckers in my Custom. (This option sounds tempting...)

3. The R9...

Put only new pots/caps in the Custom. The WMs and new pots in the R9.

Honestly, the R9 sounds perfect to me as is. I could take what I consider to be a perfect sounding guitar and make it even better, or I could leave it as is and improve one or two other guitars.

The R8 and R9 are stock except for the caps, RS paper in oil Bees.

What do you guys think?

*Wolfetone Marshallheads

Raw, in-your-face, distinctive Alnico-5 hot P.A.F attitude. With an upper-midrange punch and sizzling - not harsh - high end, they'll deliver the power to cut through. The Marshallhead pickups were brought about by the desire for a pickup that captures more of the "overwound" original 59 P.A.F pickups without sacrificing clarity, detail and that great P.A.F "honk". A bright, yet fat and clear top end compliments a cello like bottom and hollow honky midrange so unique to the 50's originals. Using plain enamel wire, Alnico 5 magnets, no wax potting and a special winding process, the Marshallhead pickups have really raised the bar on the hotter P.A.F type winds. Bridge is 9k, neck is 8.2k.

I'd go with option #3 since you have two R9's - would be nice to have the differences between the two. At the same time, I'd do what you were going to do w/option #2, and put the burstbuckers from the R9 into the Custom. That way you upgrade the Custom (which is your first aim), and you also get to have a bit of a variation on the one R9 you're willing to customize. I'd leave the R8 and the new 50th R9 stock.

Just my two cents.

I would do up the custom... I would feel funny about messing with a R8 or R9 being that they were made as reissues of great guitars...

You got a 50th R9 Tim? Did you ever post pics? I must have been on vacation when you did and missed it. Can you post a couple :- [-o<[-o<[-o<

Thanks guys! 3 of the 4 responses say do up the Custom. Interesting...

I'd go with option #3 since you have two R9's - would be nice to have the differences between the two.
The 2009s are completely different than the 2008s. Well, not completely different like a Les Paul is to a Strat, but the 2009s have undergone changes. On paper, the 2008 R8 and 2007 R9 are identical.

HeadCase...yeah, the R9 sounds amazing. It does have scratchy pots but on the other hand, I do play the R8 more than anything.

Here you go, Dave. http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=13834

Since the Custom is the least favorite' date=' I'd say put the pups and pots in there. [/quote']

+1

I don't mod guitars unless there is something I don't like about them and the Custom is the only one you mentioned not liking.

Thanks guys! 3 of the 4 responses say do up the Custom. Interesting...

The 2009s are completely different than the 2008s. Well' date=' not completely different like a Les Paul is to a Strat, but the 2009s have undergone changes. On paper, the 2008 R8 and 2007 R9 are identical.

HeadCase...yeah, the R9 sounds amazing. It does have scratchy pots but on the other hand, I do play the R8 more than anything.

Here you go, Dave. http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=13834[/quote']

Yeah, that's kind of my point. Since you are willing to mod both the R8 & R9, I'd mod the R9 along with the mods to the Custom. That way you'll have the new 50th R9, a moded R9, the stock R8 and the moded Custom. I think the burstbuckers would be nice in the Custom as well. You can always do additional modifications down the line to the Custom anyway if you don't like how it turns out - or, you may find that you just don't dig it at all. Anyway, seems to me that having the 50th R9, a moded R9 to your own personal likes, a stock R8, and a moded Custom (if you choose to keep it) would be the way to go (for me at least).

...yeah' date=' the R9 sounds amazing. It does have scratchy pots but [/quote']

"Deoxit" (contact cleaner) will fix that for sure. StewMac / Radio Shack.http://store.caig.com/s.nl;jsessionid=0a010c451f43b4bf5d355c6349d88c02fb8c627094d5.e3eTaxiMa38Te38Pe0?it=A&id=1954&sc=2&category=188

Archived