Gibson Brands Forums

Has Anybody Tried The Vox Virage?

Californiaman

Haven't put my hands on one yet but I've been very impressed with it.

Made in Japan I believe, the build quality should be superb.

I want one even if they flop in the market, the design has alot of intrigue for me.

Yeah, I'm with you Neo. I've been wanting to get my hands on one since they were introduced last year. I like the CNC build quality and those pickups seem incredible. I like the double cutaway more than the single, and I'm really drawn to the deep cherry red because it's all mahogany, although I would definitely consider the solid black or all white. Hell, they're all attractive guitars.

Again, I'm really impressed with the versatility of the tones comeing from this beauty.

Los Angeles is three hours away and San Fransisco is four. No one around here sells them.

I have played a few. The guitar store that does all my upgrades has 3. They sound amazing and can get some great tones with those pickups. Very versatile. They also play very nice. Overall it was quite the guitar but they are so expensive I couldn't appreciate it.

It was like getting to look at a beautiful woman naked in person knowing you couldn't get with her and you begin to resent her beauty because all you could do was look.

Great guitar though, would be amazing in the studio as well as very reliable and eye catching on stage.

• 1 month later...

Well, I just got a DC cherry Virage. I have many of the usual suspects already, high end stuff, and this guitar is in the league with the best. First of all, you have to see it to believe the design and quality of build. It literally wraps around you. Perfect intonation, great sound versatility, which I am still discovering given all the options. It is beautiful, comfy, just the right size neck, great recessed heel. And here's the deal; you can get a new one for $1500. I guarantee you if you call a few of the online dealers you will find one who has a few that aren't moving and wants to get rid of them. That's what I did; PM me for the name of the retailer. Save $1000 on this guy. I am not a retailer, just a guy who has played for 40+ years and knows what is good. And it is a buyers market now.

Agreed, double cut is the way to go.

Callen, have you played a ES-335?

I went for years thinking they were cool looking and some great players use them, blah, blah, blah....

Then I actually played one - oh dear...

That $2,300 went fast!

When I got it, my Les Pauls collected dust for quite awhile.

Probably my Desert Island/If You Could Only Keep One guitar.

I'm curious how the Virage would contrast with it.

The website used to have some very good info about the design and manufacturing of it, very good reading.

I'm impressed with them and I've yet to hold one in my hands...

:-)

• 3 weeks later...
Because of my location here on the central coast of Mexifornia' date=' I'm unable to try the Vox Virage.

Has anybody tried it?

Here's the link if you want to check it out. Listen to the audio files too. It's worth it.

Vox Virage

I recently bought a double cutaway black one, and it's fantastic! Amazing sound and freakin light. Beautiful looking instrument as well. The vox virage team did an amazing job on this beauty. But now I'm pissed, I have to sell it because I need to replace my main amp which was recently stolen. Damn! If you know anyone who wants a Virage, email me at almcg2@yahoo.com. It's in mint condition and comes with great hardshell case and all case candy, cost between $2499 and $2599 + tax, street price and I'm selling for $1999. Pisses me off.. I want to keep it!

Agreed' date=' double cut is the way to go.

Callen, have you played a ES-335?

I went for years thinking they were cool looking and some great players use them, blah, blah, blah....

Then I actually played one - oh dear...

That $2,300 went fast!

When I got it, my Les Pauls collected dust for quite awhile.

Probably my [i']Desert Island/If You Could Only Keep One[/i] guitar.

I'm curious how the Virage would contrast with it.

The website used to have some very good info about the design and manufacturing of it, very good reading.

I'm impressed with them and I've yet to hold one in my hands...

:-)

The ES-335 and Vox Virage are pretty different instruments. The Virage pups are way more versatile, the Virage is much lighter and a little smaller. The neck joint is scooped on the Virage to allow very comfortable access to the upper frets. The hardware is brushed, not chromed. Bridge is aluminum alloy and designed in such a way as to transmit string vibration directly to the tone bars inside the body. The semihollow body is a completely different design in the virage. It's designed to transmit string vibrations differently. No feed back at all from the Virage.

I own both a '64 Cherry Red Es-335 and A DC Virage.

Archived