Gibson Brands Forums

Strings..here we go again....

Joe M

I just brought home a J45 Vintage that has the best sound of any I have heard in the last couple of years. I usually swap the strings on any new guitar I buy as soon as I get home. But this guitar sounds SO GOOD, I'm not sure I want to change to another string. I know this topic has been kicked around before, and I know that strings are cheap, but I don't want to try something else and be disappointed. So, one more time, does anyone know what brand and type of string Gibson puts on it's new guitars, specifically, a J45 Vintage?

I'm not sure what comes with them, but for the same guitar I've settled on Martin PBs, 13 - 54.  Gives a little more oomph on the hi e, mellows the low e.  I have heard people say if you get a guitar, and it's sounding good, don't mess with it (strings etc...) for a bit for fear of losing that magic sound - but that might be for older guitars?

Well, I went right to the source, called Gibson Customer Relations. Was told by the guy who answered that D'Addario PB strings (uncoated) are put on most, if not all of their new guitars. I could tell he was reading from a script, so I'm hoping that the info he quoted was correct.