Gibson Brands Forums

Vito Bratta

deepblue

Does anyone else here think Vito Bratta was amazing??

I had forgot what a fantastic player he was.

I heard some White Lion on the radio and then checked out some YouTube vids.

Hes a recluse now. He hurt his hands and finds it painful to play.

His band mates said he was very quiet and reserved....not ego driven at all.

Good on ya Vito!

Thank you Eeyore.

Hate to say it but it is true. i wasn't a fan of those types of bands but always thought that there was a lot of good talent there. Too bad they got sucked into the hair band era. Even worse the way they got shunned when it was over.

I guess that is what happens when the record companies come up with a "Formula" (Release a single, release a ballad, lather, rinse, repeat with the next in line...) and beat it into the ground until they can't sell it anymore and as with most things in the music industry The artists are the ones who get screwed in the end. Out of money, out of fame, out of.... well everything. Of course if 1/2 of these bands had a shread of originality they would have fared better. Look at the hundreds of thrash bands that sprung up to ride the coat tails of Metallica, Slayer, etc... Same thing. The guys who broke the style into the mainstream get the staying power. The guys that follow in their footsteps fall shortly after an album or two is released.

Trouble is for many of these guys they are caught in a catch 22. If they continue playing the old style they get labeled as has-been's. If they change styles they are sell-out's and are just trying to ride the band wagon.

At least they get to say "Yeah I was on tour once..."

It's true there were a similar players in the hair band era, however Vito's ability to tastefully combine technique with beautiful melodies set him apart from the rest.

For example. Listen to 1:43 to 1:57 in the song Little Fighter. Rather than the usual chugging away on the root of a chord like most others would play, Vito plays an intricate melody while cleverly keeping that chug chug chug 8th note rhythm going. Also, he wasn't all about speed like some others but rather composition.

AND..........He had a Lamborghini Countach!!!!!!!

I'm glad he's remembered

rock!

I just got a lovely e-mail from Rocky4

He told me to F-off. I guess he didnt like the fact that I *jokingly* called him Eeyore.

You get a 10 on the tension scale Rock! lol...or is it the DT's?

If you don't want honest opinions, don't post

It's true there were a similar players in the hair band era' date=' however Vito's ability to tastefully combine technique with beautiful melodies set him apart from the rest.

For example. Listen to 1:43 to 1:57 in the song Little Fighter. Rather than the usual chugging away on the root of a chord like most others would play, Vito plays an intricate melody while cleverly keeping that chug chug chug 16th note rhythm going. Also, he wasn't all about speed like some others but rather composition.

AND..........He had a Lamborghini Countach!!!!!!!

I'm glad he's remembered

rock!

[/quote']

Welcome to the forums WoodOfTheMorning. Nothing like jumping right in to the fray.

Hope we see more of you around "The Lounge".

Does anyone else here think Vito Bratta was amazing??...

Good on ya Vito!

I thought so. I liked his tapping a lot more than Eddie's in fact - more melodic. It was pretty amazing. Whatever happened to that guy?

I went with a girlfriend in the late 80s to see one of those hair-o-rama tickets. Threre was like four bands, all hair and spandex, none very good. Anyway, White Lion was the first band. The whole time everyone of his bandmates were jumping around and posing, Vito was standing stage left, playing most excellently. He was very reserved for a hairband guitar player. In fact, there were about six guitar players total in the other three bands and none of them played with Vito's grace. Of course, they were too busy jumping around like a bunch of Mexican beans.

I really liked the guys style. He was a guitar player, not a poser.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought so. I liked his tapping a lot more than Eddie's in fact - more melodic. It was pretty amazing. Whatever happened to that guy?

Here I thought this might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vito_Bratta

Vito Bratta (b. July 1, 1961, Staten Island, New York) was the lead guitarist and lead songwriter for the 1980s rock band White Lion from 1983 to 1992.

Following the breakup of White Lion, Bratta produced an album for the band CPR on Atlantic records. Bratta has not been involved in the music industry in any capacity since 1994. He is said to be currently living in his childhood house in Staten Island with his parents.

In 2003, Mike Tramp (former White Lion vocalist), attempted to reunite with Bratta but was unsuccessful. Tramp talked about Bratta in a 2007 interview with Anarchy Music, claiming Bratta was always quiet and distant and the rest of the band "hardly knew his birthday".

Vito Bratta had not been heard from since 1994 until his interview by Eddie Trunk live on February 16, 2007.

The following key points were revealed during the Eddie Trunk interview:

* Vito Bratta's father suffered through a 5 year illness, and this required a large amount of personal time and commitment on Vito's part, both emotionally and financially.

* In 1997 he injured his wrist while playing classical guitar and finds it painful to move his hand up and down the guitar neck; he manages to play nylon string guitars without too much discomfort. This injury seems to not be fully healed.

* He has never ruled out a White Lion reunion; up until now they have been impossible due to family obligations and his wrist injury.

In April 2007, Vito Bratta made his first public musical appearances in over 15 years, at both Friday and Saturday nights shows at the L'Amour Reunion Shows in New York.

Also http://www.myspace.com/vitobrattatribute seems to have some info...

Archived