Gibson Brands Forums

1st Post: Stage Deluxe Rosewood - Quick Questions

GibsonNewbie

Well, my name says it all - Gibson Newbie.  1st post here and a true newbie to Gibsons…:)

I'm quite interested in the Gibson Stage Deluxe Rosewood - the audio files on Youtube are really very very impressive. 

A few questions if I may: 

1. It seems to me that most Gibson acoustics (J45, Stage Deluxe) are Mahogany rather than rosewood.  But with other manufacturers such as Martin does seem to make more Rosewood instruments in their bread and butter models.  Is there a reason why?  Is it just a Gibson tone?   (I hope it is OK to mention other brands here such as Martin..:) 

2. I'm told that the Stage Deluxe Rosewood has hide glue neck joint and all the braces are also hide glue - maybe even the bridge.  Anyone know for sure? 

3. Anyone played the stage Deluxe (any model) along with one of the Martin Authentic 12th fret dreadnoughts (D1 or D28).  I love to hear what you think the differences would be.  I have the Martin but can't find a Stage Deluxe locally.  Again, the youtube audio just sounds fantastic!!  The term I would use is 'bite' or 'edge' but it is not edgy as I would think of something like a Taylor.  

4. I also wonder about responsiveness to fingerstyling. 

Thanks! 

Edited by GibsonNewbie

Here's a bit of background on the original Gibson Smeck models, just so you understand the origins:

Roy Smeck guitars

The modern Bozeman re-issues are all set up for "Spanish"-style  playing (as oppose to Hawaiian lap-style playing".

Here's a video of Roy Smeck playing one of his eponymous guitars Hawaiian style:

Smeck on a Smeck

If anything, Smeck was better known back in the day for his ukulele playing.

And welcome aboard!

Edited by j45nick
additional info

Oh, it would  be fairly well suited to fingerstylie things. DaveF, here on the forum, might say that the mahogany version of the Stage DeLuxe might be better at doing actual songs, or if you're sitting in with others, as he has both the rosewood and mahogany Stage D's-

qPvoLaL.png

3 hours ago, 62burst said:

Oh, it would  be fairly well suited to fingerstylie things. DaveF, here on the forum, might say that the mahogany version of the Stage DeLuxe might be better at doing actual songs, or if you're sitting in with others, as he has both the rosewood and mahogany Stage D's-

qPvoLaL.png

Don’t forget the JB Walnut version

RW and 12fretters

14 hours ago, j45nick said:

Here's a bit of background on the original Gibson Smeck models, just so you understand the origins:

Roy Smeck guitars

The modern Bozeman re-issues are all set up for "Spanish"-style  playing (as oppose to Hawaiian lap-style playing".

Here's a video of Roy Smeck playing one of his eponymous guitars Hawaiian style:

Smeck on a Smeck

If anything, Smeck was better known back in the day for his ukulele playing.

And welcome aboard!

I really enjoyed learning about Smeck -- thanks! 

The Rosewood Stage Deluxe is both sensitive and loud. Having only 12 frets clear of the body put the bridge in a sweet spot on the sound board. It has a rich, clear sound. It also has a neck that many finger pickers would find comfy, too. Go for it.

As for rosewood, it's historically been used less on Gibsons than mahogany and maple. I'm not even sure Gibson used rosewood at all from the mid forties until the AJ was revived in the nineties. 

Red 333

• 3 years later...

I just put a deposit on a 2015 Gibson Stage Deluxe. I will be trading my Martin HD 28 which I have grown weary of in spite of some sentimental value. The Stage Deluxe truly lit up my spirit finding it versatile and powerful to accommodate both fingerpicking and Aggressive strumming. I will be giving up a dual source Ellipse system in my Martin but as I am a solo singer songwriter I need to make for me, brave move to simply miking the Gibson. Not sure the Lyric on the Gibson will cut it for me. The Gibson sings in a way that my Martin doesn’t. I am not  a bluegrass player by any stretch. I wish I could keep both. I can’t right now. Already having some buyer’s remorse and haven’t even brought the Gibson home yet.. Any thoughts

Steve Dan Mills

www.stevedanmillsmusic.com

The 1930s Roy Smecks have earned the title the "grand piano of guitars.  That un-tapered body and 12 fret neck with its bridge placement does make a difference.  Think of it in terms of hitting a snare drum dead center as opposed to off near the rim.

If I recall properly about three or so years back Dave F. and I talked a bit about buying either his Stage Deluxe or Radio Grande.  I also recall being more tempted by the mahogany body version.  But I have always preferred mahogany to rosewood bodies.  In the end although Dave F. made me a very gracious offer, in one of those "the Devil made me do it" moments I ended up laying out somewhat more cash on a used Fairbanks Smeck Stage Deluxe.  

I also have played some of the Harmony Smeck guitars.   Although they were a flagship model it was pretty much just a licensing agreement and the guitars have nothing in common with the Gibson instruments.  More like an overbuilt Kalamazoo.

If anyone is interested, here is Steve Earle's "Guitar Town" segment on his Roy Smeck Radio Grande. 

Edited by zombywoof

ASAIK, all the old RSSDs were mahogany -- the rosewood model was the Roy Smeck Radio Grande.

Here is my 1935 Radio Grande-- slab cut East Indian rosewood.

9p3sgLd.jpg

RgIIFhd.jpg

I have shown this before.  Here is that guitar being demoed by my friend David Dugas

Here is David playing a 1936 Stage Deluxe

Best,

-Tom

• Like 1