Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Min-ETune Battery and Charger are Different

depreciated

Hi Forum. Nice to meet you. Some time ago I purchased a 2013 Gibson Les Paul with Min-ETune. It did not come with a charger, so Gibson sent me a new one. I finally needed to charge it and my battery and charger seem to both have male components. I looked up the battery online, and it differs from mine, in that the battery does not have two "posts" like mine. IMG_20200104_215606_01.jpg.b053f4c235253049d0417cc91d4f3e85.jpg

The charger and that "post" do not agree. IMG_20200104_220426_01.jpg.1b6dc4330441dc19c8b3f533a914c49f.jpg

Have I lost my mind (OK perhaps), but what am I missing?

Thanks!

On 1/4/2020 at 11:27 PM, depreciated said:

Hi Forum. Nice to meet you. Some time ago I purchased a 2013 Gibson Les Paul with Min-ETune. It did not come with a charger, so Gibson sent me a new one. I finally needed to charge it and my battery and charger seem to both have male components. I looked up the battery online, and it differs from mine, in that the battery does not have two "posts" like mine. IMG_20200104_215606_01.jpg.b053f4c235253049d0417cc91d4f3e85.jpg

The charger and that "post" do not agree. IMG_20200104_220426_01.jpg.1b6dc4330441dc19c8b3f533a914c49f.jpg

Thanks!

It must need to slide into some changing base you don't have. And they just sent you to AC to DC adapter. Call them (Gibson) and explain your delema. Or is there a hole in the mini-tune for the adapter end where the battery is installed.

Come on Big Bill there are at least 2 zingers you can get from my reply.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 1/4/2020 at 7:27 PM, depreciated said:

Thanks!

Pull the post out of the battery...

Have you checked the Internet to see if someone sells a female to female adapter that would work?  I needed a 1/4” male to 1/4” female adapter awhile back and found that there seems to be an adapter for pretty much any need.  And most of the ones I saw were under $5.00.

Edited by tx-ogre

41 minutes ago, tx-ogre said:

Have you checked the Internet to see if someone sells a female to female adapter that would work?  I needed a 1/4” male to 1/4” female adapter awhile back and found that there seems to be an adapter for pretty much any need.  And most of the ones I saw were under $5.00.

OP doesn’t need an adapter..  there is a something already in the charger slot of the battery.  It’s either a “post”, peg, or a part from inside of the min e-tune that has broke off.    

Again, OP... pull that “post” (or whatever it is) out of the battery where the charger goes. 

Maybe this will help.  Either click on “Charging Battery” link, or scroll down to bottom video.  This will show you what the charging end of the 2013-14 Min E-Tune battery should look like.  Btw, it’s the same for the more refined G-Force tuner.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/min-etune-tutorial-videos/#batt

3 hours ago, arcticsg said:

OP doesn’t need an adapter..  there is a something already in the charger slot of the battery.  It’s either a “post”, peg, or a part from inside of the min e-tune that has broke off.    

Again, OP... pull that “post” (or whatever it is) out of the battery where the charger goes. 

So Gibson told me that post is native to the battery. I'm going to order what they suggest. This is just bizarre. 

2 hours ago, depreciated said:

So Gibson told me that post is native to the battery. I'm going to order what they suggest. This is just bizarre. 

Well good luck.  Hope they can take care of you.  Let us know how it turns out.  🙂 

I am still in the mindset that it’s an issue with that battery.   It is either a sleeve/shield (to protect and guide the charger plug) that should have been pushed down further and sits flush with the top of the battery (you see this ring on all the batteries), or it’s a foreign object stuck in the hole.

Just now, arcticsg said:

Well good luck.  Hope they can take care of you.  Let us know how it turns out.  🙂 

I am still in the mindset that it’s an issue with that battery.   It is either a sleeve/shield (to protect and guide the charger plug) that should have been pushed down further and sits flush with the top of the battery (you see this ring on all the batteries), or it’s a foreign object stuck in the hole.

I don't doubt you at all. My sister has this nightmare model, and apparently they changed the batteries very quickly. Her battery has a post as well. So basically we are 2/1 million? I'll order and see.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, arcticsg said:

This is the only thing that makes sense to me.

On 1/11/2020 at 6:33 PM, tx-ogre said:

Not a bad idea. I wish I could guess at the size. In any event, I ordered a different model from Gibson (although they want me to order from another supplier). I'll let you know.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, depreciated said:

Well, it was as many members speculated: "When in doubt, pull it out."

After much frustration, several adapters, and some liquid courage - I yanked the post out with my teeth. Fixed the problem. 

Thanks everyone!

Yw   😉