Gibson Brands Forums

TRC screw, toothpick, matchstick

Pinch

2 hours ago, Pinch said:

I put toothpick shavings in with a tiny , tiny drop of  wood glue. We shall see in an hour or two. Talk about Mr. Procrastinator.

This post is the least interesting one you'll read all day today, by the way. You're welcome.

It will be just fine. 

3 hours ago, j45nick said:

It will be just fine. 

'fraid not. Second attempt. Tiny amount of glue - rather too little than too much - and a piece of toothpick. Diameter fit pretty good. Supposedly quick drying glue, I'll screw it in in an hour. See what happens this time.

I had the day off when they doled out luck.

Edited by Pinch

Well, there's a lesson... Naturally some of the poly (?) coat arolund the hole "let go"... I tried to be careful, but the headstock coating didn't enter my mind.  cGuess I'll have to live with that. Hopefully it won't "spread". Dammit, always something. OCD and guitars are like a match made in hell.

Guess I can shear it off and apply new laquer if push comes to shove... For now, it's OK...

Edited by Pinch

• 1 month later...

Okay, here's some info for others who may have a stripped out TRC hole!

I ended up taking a piece of toothpick and cutting it with wire cutters into tiny pieces - fragments, really. I put a tiny bit of wood glue in the hole, using the tip of a toothpick - something like 1/10 of a drop. Most of it (not much to begin with!) probably stuck to the sides. I guess some ended up at the bottom of the hole.

Then I put the toothpick fragments in. Just enough for the bottom half of the hole. Then I put the screw in. I should have put the TRC on before I tried to align the screw, so I sheared off some finish around the hole - not a mistake you have to make. I used quick drying wood glue, the instructions said ten minutes, I let it sit for an hour. Then I put the screw in, figuring I'll be lucky if it holds the screw for five minutes. 

Well, I'll be damned if it's not like new again. The screw - apparently - forced the fragments up enough to cover the sides of the hole, the tiny amount of glue made them stick, and I can take the screw out, screw it back in, take it out again... It holds. You'd never know it had been tampered with if it weren't for some "toothpick dust" on the screw. 

This is probably all old hat to most people on here, but I thought I'd share in case someone needs some help. 

Edited by Pinch

I'm glad the problem was solved.  Back in 87, the guy drilling pup ring holes at Gibson got distracted and my bridge pup spent most of it's life slightly skewed.  With black rings I could live with it but when I put the cream rings on, it looked awful so I fixed it.  As my pic shows, two were OK and two were not.  I simply cut off about 5mm of toothpick and carefully forced it into the two offending holes then re-drilled tow tiny pilot holes in the right location and all was well. No glue.  A 30 minute job; maybe less.

https://imgur.com/M5wyabz

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Correction: I think, 2nd attempt, I just put in a bit of toothpick, like 5/64" long, jammed it in the hole, let the glue dry and screwed it in. Probably didn't even need the dab of glue. 

Advantage: no need to for a pilot hole. The screw goes in the way it's supposed to, and bites into the toothpick wood on the bottom of the hole. 

5 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

I beg to differ that the glue was needed because you won't be doing this repair again next time you take out the screw.  Glad you used wood glue too instead of super glue... 

You're probably right. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!