Gibson Brands Forums

TRC screw, toothpick, matchstick

Pinch

3 hours ago, Pinch said:

Fill the hole up with the toothpick before re-inserting the screw, or trim down the toothpick? I read some guy said fill to half the diameter or so.

I know, probably not critical...but I'm not afraid of asking stupid questions...

Don't fill  the hole all the way, these are tiny holes, and tiny screws. Yo can probably put one small drop of superglue in the hole and accomplish the same thing without the toothpick, but don't put much in. Do not fill the hole. Wait until it dries before installing the screw. Do not force the screw. You can easily shear the screw or break wood off around the hole. If necessary take a tiny (1/16" or smaller) drill bit to open the hole slightly after filling by either method.

8 hours ago, j45nick said:

Don't fill  the hole all the way, these are tiny holes, and tiny screws. Yo can probably put one small drop of superglue in the hole and accomplish the same thing without the toothpick, but don't put much in. Do not fill the hole. Wait until it dries before installing the screw. Do not force the screw. You can easily shear the screw or break wood off around the hole. If necessary take a tiny (1/16" or smaller) drill bit to open the hole slightly after filling by either method.

Makes sense. Thanks!

Maybe best to go with just a tiny drop of glue, let it dry, and put the screw in. Seeing as it's such a tiny hole, maybe the wood of the toothpick will expand too much around it? Ah, choices, choices... Don't wanna crack anything.

Maybe a tiny strip of duct tape or something down the hole will suffice.

Edited by Pinch

I would not use something like duct tape. The adhesive will transfer inside the hole and/or to the screw, and make a mess of things when you screw it in or out. You won't be able to do a permanent fix after that without some prep work to try to remove adhesive residue from the hole. It's just asking for trouble down the line.

A tiny piece of toothpick would be a far better choice if you want to choose an easy but less-than-permanent solution. The only problem with this is if it forces the screw out of alignment with the center of the hole, the screw may not go in straight.

If you're uncomfortable with any of this, just take the guitar to a decent tech.

Think I'll go the toothpick route, then, and take care to properly align the screw. Not sure how a tech would do it differently... Can't really do more than glue in some wood, like a piece of toothpick. Well, maybe a tech would drill a pilot hole.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2020 at 8:24 PM, j45nick said:

I would not use something like duct tape. The adhesive will transfer inside the hole and/or to the screw, and make a mess of things when you screw it in or out. You won't be able to do a permanent fix after that without some prep work to try to remove adhesive residue from the hole. It's just asking for trouble down the line.

A tiny piece of toothpick would be a far better choice if you want to choose an easy but less-than-permanent solution. The only problem with this is if it forces the screw out of alignment with the center of the hole, the screw may not go in straight.

If you're uncomfortable with any of this, just take the guitar to a decent tech.

Hm... Should I just shear of a tiny piece of toothpick and put put it to the side of the hole? Can't really put it in the middle, or the screw won't go in. 

Sorry for all the questions 🙂

6 hours ago, Pinch said:

Hm... Should I just shear of a tiny piece of toothpick and put put it to the side of the hole? Can't really put it in the middle, or the screw won't go in. 

Sorry for all the questions 🙂

You can try that, but this is the basic issue with using a sliver of wood to fill the hole: you're making the hole asymmetrical, and it may be difficult to get the screw to go in straight. Take a tiny sliver of toothpick and put it in one side, and see if that does enough to get the screw to wedge into it and bite. It may take only a tiny piece.

It may be easier to carve the toothpick end down to a sliver (but still attached), stick it into the hole, then slice it flush with a razor blade.

This is the reason I usually end up with just a tiny drop of glue in the hole instead. The toothpick trick works fine with larger screws in larger holes, but these are tiny screws in tiny holes.

If you end up using glue in any way, you may need to mask off carefully to avoid getting it on the headstock face.

Having said that, it is worth trying a tiny sliver of wood, filling only a small portion of the hole. It doesn't take much to get a small screw to bite enough to stay in place.

2 hours ago, j45nick said:

You can try that, but this is the basic issue with using a sliver of wood to fill the hole: you're making the hole asymmetrical, and it may be difficult to get the screw to go in straight. Take a tiny sliver of toothpick and put it in one side, and see if that does enough to get the screw to wedge into it and bite. It may take only a tiny piece.

It may be easier to carve the toothpick end down to a sliver (but still attached), stick it into the hole, then slice it flush with a razor blade.

This is the reason I usually end up with just a tiny drop of glue in the hole instead. The toothpick trick works fine with larger screws in larger holes, but these are tiny screws in tiny holes.

If you end up using glue in any way, you may need to mask off carefully to avoid getting it on the headstock face.

Having said that, it is worth trying a tiny sliver of wood, filling only a small portion of the hole. It doesn't take much to get a small screw to bite enough to stay in place.

Thank you. That makes sense. It's so tiny, a tiny drop of glue (wood glue good?) makes the most sense. I would think. 

6 hours ago, Pinch said:

Thank you. That makes sense. It's so tiny, a tiny drop of glue (wood glue good?) makes the most sense. I would think. 

I thought about the wood glue angle last night. That would probably work. If you don't have a precision glue syringe, a drop on the end of a toothpick might do. Clean up any mess on the headstock face a bit with a damp (but not wet) rag. I'd give it a chance to set up overnight before installing the screw.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, j45nick said:

I thought about the wood glue angle last night. That would probably work. If you don't have a precision glue syringe, a drop on the end of a toothpick might do. Clean up any mess on the headstock face a bit with a damp (but not wet) rag. I'd give it a chance to set up overnight before installing the screw.

Thanks! 🙂

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

I’ve repaired a few tuning key holes. I just put a drop of wood glue on the tip of the screw and screw it in. 

Mm, but I need to be able to get it out for adjusting the truss rod, too 😉

I'll put in a drop of wood glue, let it sit overnight and screw it into the hardened glue.  I think. 

Or should that be overthink 😉

Edited by Pinch

5 hours ago, Dave F said:

I’ve never had problems removing the screws afterwards. 

And you could still screw them back in, and they would set/the problem would be fixed? That would be great. 

Sorry if my questions are dumb... A carpenter I am not, as you can probably tell. 

Edited by Pinch

If the holes I’ve used this method on, I’ve only removed and reinserted the screws a couple times and never had an issue. If I did , I would just add a drop again. This is probably more like using loctite to keep a screw in place in metal. 

50 minutes ago, Dave F said:

If the holes I’ve used this method on, I’ve only removed and reinserted the screws a couple times and never had an issue. If I did , I would just add a drop again. This is probably more like using loctite to keep a screw in place in metal. 

Thanks Dave, I'll probably end up using your method (with wood glue).

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2020 at 2:24 PM, j45nick said:

Still haven't fixed it... Think I'll shave off a thin sliver with a razor and skip the glue. 

Although it can't hurt to just leave it be for now, can it.

Quarantine Saturday... Not exactly a whirlwind of activity. Good job with the bat soup, or whatever it was... 

Quarantine Sunday, just as eventful... 

Maybe drop really tiny pieces of toothpick shavings in the hole, and then insert the screw... That way, alignment wouldn't be a problem, nor should it put much stress on the hole? 

Ah, the joys of overthinking things. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2020 at 10:18 PM, Pinch said:

Quarantine Sunday, just as eventful... 

Maybe drop really tiny pieces of toothpick shavings in the hole, and then insert the screw... That way, alignment wouldn't be a problem, nor should it put much stress on the hole? 

Ah, the joys of overthinking things. 

Still leaning towards this. Dear diary, right? 

Hey Pinch;

What I do for these situations like mentioned and analyzed in this thread is use a toothpick. 

I use round ones, the diameter is near perfect, the points can be kinda long to ensure a tight fit to the bottom so I snap the point off. Drop of good old wood glue on the broken end and insert. Leave the rest sticking out until the glue dries (be sure to wipe up any smeared glue on the head stock face right away). Once dry snap off the excess, trim if required.  You're all done.

Hope the helps.

Johnny

• 7 months later...