Gibson Brands Forums

67 SG - Pickups?

uncle fester

So here's where I've settled - my goal is to get the guitar back to as close to stock as possible, so long term i'm looking for some late 60s t-tops to put in it.  Expecting that to be about $7/800 - but it does what I want which is get the guitar back to stock shape.  Having said that, $7/800 isn't just sitting around - so it's on the wish list. 

In the short term I'll see if I can get a set of chrome covers for the p'ups that I have... just so I feel like i've done something.  If I achieve my aspirations of playing at band volume before I get the t-tops, and I don't like the way the seymour duncans sound, then i'll consider the GFS mean 90 or classic 57 / 57+s.  until then  i'm fine with playing what I got in my office and living room through my blues jr...  

Thanks again everyone for the input and education - much appreciated!

Hi Billroy,

I have a '69 ES-335 and I had a '66 ES-335-12. Both have Pat No. sticker humbuckers which I know to be original, not T-tops. I have a T-top lying around and it has a stamped Pat No., not sticker. T-tops are more like early 70's so spending $800 for a set would not get you to authentic. Unfortunately Pat No. sticker humbuckers will cost a lot more than $800.  That said I also have modern Gibsons with '57 Classics, including a 2008 Larry Carlton Custom Shop ES-335, which is based on a 1968. Tone-wise I can't tell the difference between the '69 and the '08.

This is the correct pickup:

https://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff379/JOC1021/NJ Auction April 2016/DSC_0947_zpstnyxblmk.jpg

Good luck with your project,

JO'C 

Edited by JO'C

5 minutes ago, JO'C said:

Hi Billroy,

I have a '69 ES-335 and I had a '66 ES-335-12. Both have Pat No. sticker humbuckers which I know to be original, not T-tops. I have a T-top lying around and it has a stamped Pat No., not sticker. T-tops are more like early 70's so spending $800 for a set would not get you to authentic. Unfortunately Pat No. sticker humbuckers will cost a lot more than $800.  That said I also have modern Gibsons with '57 Classics, including a 2008 Larry Carlton Custom Shop ES-335, which is based on a 1968. Tone-wise I can't tell the difference between the '69 and the '08.

This is the correct pickup:

DSC_0947_zpstnyxblmk.jpg

Good luck with your project,

JO'C 

Thank you much appreciated!  Haven't seen you about the forum, welcome (a fellow MA guy...   )

You're welcome. I used to be more active on the site when I had 30+ guitars. I sold off a bunch and now have a more reasonable number, <10 and only a couple of Gibsons, so I usually only look at this once a week or so to see if anything interesting pops up.

32 minutes ago, billroy fineman said:

So here's where I've settled - my goal is to get the guitar back to as close to stock as possible, so long term i'm looking for some late 60s t-tops to put in it.  Expecting that to be about $7/800 - but it does what I want which is get the guitar back to stock shape.  Having said that, $7/800 isn't just sitting around - so it's on the wish list. 

In the short term I'll see if I can get a set of chrome covers for the p'ups that I have... just so I feel like i've done something.  If I achieve my aspirations of playing at band volume before I get the t-tops, and I don't like the way the seymour duncans sound, then i'll consider the GFS mean 90 or classic 57 / 57+s.  until then  i'm fine with playing what I got in my office and living room through my blues jr...  

Thanks again everyone for the input and education - much appreciated!

Proline Humbucker Pickup Cover 2-Pack Chrome $11.99 at MusiciansFriend

Gibson Accessories Bridge Position Humbucker Cover - Chrome $19.99 Sweetwater

Gibson Accessories Neck Position Humbucker Cover - Chrome $19.99 Sweetwater