Gibson Brands Forums

67 SG - Pickups?

uncle fester

Hi all - I've got (my wife has) a '67 SG where somewhere along the line someone put in Seymore Duncan p'ups...  if I wanted to get back to original type specs, what p'ups would I put in it.  I don't know anything more than the current ones are Seymore Duncans so not much help but does anyone have thoughts on how swapping the p'ups would affect sound?

ps - i don't have any issues w/ how the current ones sound, just think getting back to traditional would be cool.

Edited by billroy fineman

Thank you - yes, real '67, came to me in the condition it's in,  cracked and repaired, non original pickups, but rest seems original.  Guess I don't need original original for the pickups, but something that would be a facsimile...  but then again, if i'm going to do something, should do it right.

Angus Young is my favorite SG player (although the ACDC sound is really not what I'm going for these days) - guess I should figure out what he used.

T4mNjxn.jpg?1  Iq9rU5s.jpg?1

Thank you all, looks like I've got a new item on my wish list!  Looks to be $700 / $800...  but feels like the right thing to do.

Reverb is the only place I can think of going to find these, anyone have suggestions on where else i could look?

I would lean toward recapturing the look of the Maestro tremolo equipped SG with chrome covered Gibson style pickups with the sound you like, they are easy to replace being directly attached to the batwing pickguard. Which also brings up the point that you could also get a P90 loaded SG batwing pickguard.

Edited by mihcmac

Thank you again all.  After thinking on it I've come up with a two part solution.  Short term I'll look to put chrome covers on these (if they fit?) get the look back to more of an original thing and then long term I want to see if I can get a chance to try something from the time period with  P90s and the T-Tops to compare and pick one of those to go with.  I like a little bit of dirt, not much...

Well,,,,...  P90s are cool and all but you cant use P90s with out modifications (at minimum at least a new pick guard)

for a P90 style pickup that will fit in place of a Humbucker, you'd want P94s.

IMHO one of the best sounding current offerings from Gibson are the Classic 57 and Classic 57+    a covered set would run around $300

46 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Well,,,,...  P90s are cool and all but you cant use P90s with out modifications (at minimum at least a new pick guard)

for a P90 style pickup that will fit in place of a Humbucker, you'd want P94s.

IMHO one of the best sounding current offerings from Gibson are the Classic 57 and Classic 57+    a covered set would run around $300

Thanks Ray - yeah for the P90s, was thinking it would be a loaded pickguard replacement... but I like the idea of the classic 57 / 57+ for a short term solution while I figure out the rest.  I've got about $8500 worth of GAS lined up, and a $300 price tag is easier to swallow than $700+ ...which will allow me to spend $400 on a tone dexter 🙂

For humbucker sized P90's don't forget Seymour's Phat Cat.  Nice, and you don't have to cut stuff up to make them work where humbuckers go.

I'm still not sure what you are saying though.  Are you saying those two pickups in that guitar are P90's without covers?

rct

10 minutes ago, billroy fineman said:

Thanks Ray - yeah for the P90s, was thinking it would be a loaded pickguard replacement... but I like the idea of the classic 57 / 57+ for a short term solution while I figure out the rest.  I've got about $8500 worth of GAS lined up, and a $300 price tag is easier to swallow than $700+ ...which will allow me to spend $400 on a tone dexter 🙂

yea Bill,  that would be the way to go,  a preloaded PG with all the right K pots too,  Humbuckers/P90s should use different pots.  I think 300k for p90s is right, 500k I believe you'd want for humbuckers.  so if you were peicing it all together with P90s, you'd probably need to worry about all that.

Tonedexters are great devices, I am still amazed with what I can get out of it.  As time goes on, you see that different "Character" settings become more appealing to your ears as you get used to NOT having tame the UST harshness.  I first started using blend settings  75/80 % TD, the rest pickup, now I'm pretty much using the Character settings that are not using any of the UST signal.

RCT, those pickups look like dimazio humbuckers.  they were all the rage back in the 80s don't ya know.  (I know you know,  you was there too)

Yeah, that's what I see too.  I am confused, which isn't unusual.  

As I recall from my heady days at the Acoustic Guitar Forum before I got the BAN stick for life, this ToneDexter thingy is vile and evil and will never grok the caramel-y upper mids and sweet overtones of your average 8 thousand dollar X braced Taylor.  Z braced.  Whatever.  Just sayin.

rct

2 hours ago, rct said:

For humbucker sized P90's don't forget Seymour's Phat Cat.  Nice, and you don't have to cut stuff up to make them work where humbuckers go.

I'm still not sure what you are saying though.  Are you saying those two pickups in that guitar are P90's without covers?

rct

The p'ups in the guitar are seymour duncans.  I don't dislike them, just trying to get the guitar back to a more 'stock' state.

Nobody mentioned it so I will.  If you want pickups that will sound pretty much exactly like what a '67 SG sounded like, call up Lindy Fralin and ask him to wind you a pair.  It'll be as close to stock sounding as it can get.  Bring your wallet, he doesn't come cheap.  Seymour will do the same, just as pricey.

rct

Edited by rct

3 hours ago, billroy fineman said:

Not to create any more confusion but you can get Humbucker Sized P90's that will fit right in to your pickguard. These below are GuitarFetish GFS Mean 90's, Very hot P90's and very low noise, possibly because of the Silver plated Chassis. The only problem is they won't break the bank, but will sound great. The SG below is one my best sounding P-90 guitars out of several. A matched Set will only cost about $80 on sale at GuitarFetish the GFS Mean 90's..

p5nMo6m.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

51 minutes ago, rct said:

Nobody mentioned it so I will.  If you want pickups that will sound pretty much exactly like what a '67 SG sounded like, call up Lindy Fralin and ask him to wind you a pair.  It'll be as close to stock sounding as it can get.  Bring your wallet, he doesn't come cheap.  Seymour will do the same, just as pricey.

rct

Lindy's stuff is tight. I installed many a Lindy pup after ripping out the stock stuff.

22 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Not to create any more confusion but you can get Humbucker Sized P90's that will fit right in to your pickguard. These below are GuitarFetish GFS Mean 90's, Very hot P90's and very low noise, possibly because of the Silver plated Chassis. The only problem is they won't break the bank, but will sound great. The SG below is one my best sounding P-90 guitars out of several. A matched Set will only cost about $80 on sale at GuitarFetish the GFS Mean 90's..

dang.. I didn't know these existed,  I was under the impression (how ever wrong it was) that 94s were the answer to humbucker swap outs to SC.

28 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Would I still run into the same issue with the guts though, pots etc... needing to be swapped?

4 minutes ago, billroy fineman said:

Would I still run into the same issue with the guts though, pots etc... needing to be swapped?

No, the Mean 90's just solder in using the original pots and guts.. and its new wire has a quick plug on the pickup.

48 minutes ago, kidblast said:

dang.. I didn't know these existed,  I was under the impression (how ever wrong it was) that 94s were the answer to humbucker swap outs to SC.

Actually there are quite a few manufacturers that make Humbucker sized P90's, but the GFS Mean 90 is a Killer and very high quality.

Also, they come in Chrome Nickel and Gold..

Edited by mihcmac