Gibson Brands Forums

Jumped Onboard with the Les Paul Tribute DC

John P

On 3/5/2020 at 1:27 PM, labomba said:

Haha yeah you be around some traffic no worse then the D.C. area where we came from. Yeah 3dogs were here. don't know if they were the originals or not. Oak ridge Boys and the Little River Band are going to be here too next weekend and the following weekend and I Think Crystal Gayle was here. Oh Yeah can't forget Rich Little too and the publicity photo of his looks like it's from the 70's lol. They all must be hurting for cash lol. Then there's always the Tribute Bands 🤪 and there's a bunch of them. I also heard this mourning that Phil Collins is back on the road. 

Yep the geezers and their golf carts that look like 57 Chevies and the muscle cars they be speeding around in. l call it the 2nd Childhood Syndrome . I can't talk about em too much. I'm right behind them lol. Yeah the old bluesmen is where I'm at. Saw a few in my day when a lot of em, Muddy, Freddie King, James Cotten and the like were playing all the small clubs in the tristate NYC area while where I grew up  in the mid 70's. 

I'm originally from the Yonkers area myself.

11 hours ago, Realmongo said:

Left for the Navy through Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn in '78 and never moved back.

I was in the USN from 87-91. USCG 92-11. Discharged from the Navy at Treasure Island, CA in SF. Retired from the USCG in Yorktown, VA. I now work as a contractor for NASA in Hampton, VA doing maintenance for one of their wind tunnels. Would love to live back in Cali. But I am a poor retired military slob not Bill Gates.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Well that sounds really interesting!

After putting in 21 years with the Navy, I retired and started working with General Dynamics.

Considering retiring next year to do something fun, but on my terms!

Edited by Realmongo

6 hours ago, Realmongo said:

Well that sounds really interesting!

After putting in 21 years with the Navy, I retired and started working with General Dynamics.

Considering retiring next year to do something fun, but on my terms!

As you know contract work is contract work. I worked as a Navy contractor for years after I got out.  Saw enough ships when I was in and one day had enough. It's cool to say I work at NASA but really it's a job. They are government entity and have issues like anyplace were people work, it's just a lot of smart people work there, I am not one of them. I hate working and want to retire, but can't. I had an interview with GD but turned it down.  They wanted me to  travel to work on ships, work 6 days week away from my family.  Um no, already did that in my 20's and 30's and some of my 40's. I'll drive 20 mins to work and leave at 3:30, thanks but no thanks. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Do any of these $599.00 Gibson LP DC's come in TV Yellow?

You can get them from CME in TV yellow, but you will have to pay full price:

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/listing/gibson-usa-les-paul-junior-tribute-dc-worn-tv-yellow-wtortoise-pickguard-cme-exclusive/29536501

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/listing/gibson-usa-les-paul-special-tribute-dc-worn-tv-yellow-wtortoise-pickguard-cme-exclusive/29536502

Edited by Realmongo
Add links to new Gibsons in TV Yellow.

4 hours ago, Realmongo said:

Beautiful alternatives to the other worn colors, the tortoise pickguard is another nice touch.

I didn't know CME issued such termination for these series in fact they are not offered at Gibson web pages.....it is evident is a pure special run.

BR

Andy 

Edited by Andy56

It was a P.O. Box in Nashville.  I just put a stamp on it & sent it off....... This was for the bass, I sent another out for the six string Jr on Saturday. I’ll see if that one comes back also, It could be a Postal error.

Nice guitar.

I too got one on sale but the single pickup version.  I initially stopped at a GC and did not like the two they had, body made of too many pieces , sky high action, rough neck, etc.

A day later I was heading to a show and needed to kill about 20 minutes, stopped by another GC and there it was  a black one , two-piece body where you can hardly tell where the joint is, a lovely neck, etc. very well made but heavy for a Jr, almost 8 pounds. The guitar had a nick, negotiated the price to $515, the guys at GC were nice. I am very happy with it, it hangs nice and low, siper slim neck and great sounding P90.

I’ve noticed that they hum less also. I have one amp that must be “higher gain” than the others. I get some hum if I get too close. Otherwise remarkably little or no hum. They must be doing a better job of shielding.

• 1 month later...

I kept thinking the Fretboard looked really dry and figured it was a good time to condition it.

Made a big difference as seen in the before and after photo.

Edited by ksdaddy
member requested removal to save space