Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Center Coming to a Location Near Me

I was a newbie and bought my first guitar new (Gibson LP Faded Special w/ humbuckers) from the GC in Tucson in 2003.  After the purchase, I started taking lessons and my instructor (a University of Arizona grad with a music degree in guitar performance)  and he was not  impressed with the set up and suggested that I take it back for a set up/adjustments.  Since the GC was right next door to the music center with the lesson facilities, I took it back right after my first lesson.  The GC manager agreed to do some tweaking free of charge and laid my guitar out on a tech table.   After taking some measurements, he picked up a pair of pliers and began cranking on the adjustment wheels of the bridge.  In world record time, he took a large divet out of the top of the body, well below the finish.  Oops!  He then told me to go pick another comparable guitar off the wall for replacement, which I did.  And I still own/play that guitar.  While I was not particularly happy about this,  I found this to be a satisfactory resolution to the problem, it left me less than awestruck overall.  Needless to say, I have never let anyone form GC work on any of my guitars/basses since.

While I never ruled GC out for future purchases, I bought my next guitar (LP Classic) from Guitars Etc. in Tucson in 12/2003.  They sold it to me for $300.00 below the street price and had great customer service.  Unfortunately, they were unable to maintain their Gibson franchise.  This was more because of Gibson’s asinine rules rather anything to do with GC.  Guitars Etc. eventually went out of business, mostly because of poor business decisions rather than anything relating to GC.

My next purchase was a 2004 Gibson SG Supreme, along with several effects pedals and accessories from Rainbow Guitars in Tucson.  Locally-owned, reputable, with a reputable luthier/tech shop next door.  I did business with them right up until I moved back to Texas in 2009.

I purchased by ES-335 and ‘67 SG Special Reissue (GOW) and guitar amp bass and other accessories from Guitar Resurrection in Austin (in 2006 & 2007, respectively).  A high-end shop, that does a lot of local and online business.  Always top-notch service for new and used/consignment gear.

I have considered GC several times over the past few years, but always ended up doing business somewhere else.

Edited by tx-ogre

To be fair, I make it a point to spread my business around. 

I buy guitars, amps, strings, and straps (and various accessories) from all the local guitar stores, just to do my part to help keep them all afloat.

Same with grocery stores. 
One day it'll be Publix. 
The next, Kroger. 
On another occasion it might be Dollar General or the Walmart Neighborhood Market. 

The one thing that the groceries stores don't have is something analogous to a Pawn Shop. 
You can get guitars at a pawn shop, but not groceries. 

Dang it. 
🙁

8 hours ago, sparquelito said:

To be fair, I make it a point to spread my business around. 

I buy guitars, amps, strings, and straps (and various accessories) from all the local guitar stores, just to do my part to help keep them all afloat.

Same with grocery stores. 
One day it'll be Publix. 
The next, Kroger. 
On another occasion it might be Dollar General or the Walmart Neighborhood Market. 

The one thing that the groceries stores don't have is something analogous to a Pawn Shop. 
You can get guitars at a pawn shop, but not groceries. 

Dang it. 
🙁

You also can't haggle for a gallon on milk. Kroger you want $2.99, I'll go $2.25.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 3/5/2020 at 9:43 AM, rct said:

I'm not sure which reality you are living in.  To compete with GC a music store has to be either huge physically or have just a ton of cushion under them.  That is nearly universally not the case.  Yes, you can point to a few places that defy that, I've been to them.  But neither sentence above is remotely true in probably 90% of America.  The small stores will get crushed first in pricing, second in inventory when they can't get what people want, only GC can.  GC does not acknowledge "competition", to them it doesn't exist, and it works great for them that way, not so much for you and me.  "So go buy it there".  That is what they will tell you.

And  I like GC.  Ours has been just great for 15 years now.  Killed every other music store within 40 miles quickly but that's how it is.

rct

Yeah, we'll see what happens.  One of the stores in town - the guy is ready to retire, started it in the early 80's, owns the building, wife's been bugging him to sell, real mom & pop.  He'll prolly bail.

Another guy is a ~40 year old local guy, young, always trying new stuff, really been going hard the last couple years.  That's guy was just about crying when I talked to him.  He's like catty corner from the new GC.  Poor guy, I feel really bad for him.  His life just got punched in the face.

The biggest store in town - been there for maybe fifty years or more - he seems o.k. but I didn't talk to him about GC,  He's the local Fender dealer, used to be the Gibson dealer.  Too bad...

I was going to go to the Grand Opening yesterday but then I started thinking about the Corona virus and decided to stay home,  😁

On 3/5/2020 at 6:52 AM, sparquelito said:

Johnson City is a fine town with a robust population and a good economy. 

It's a really nice place to live.  We moved 25 years ago from CT.  My wife grew up near here in Kingsport.  It's kind of a whole different thing when you move here from up north.  People are super nice but you have to work a little harder to stay happy.

4 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

It's a really nice place to live.  We moved 25 years ago from CT.  My wife grew up near here in Kingsport.  It's kind of a whole different thing when you move here from up north.  People are super nice but you have to work a little harder to stay happy.

It may be different living than New England but nowadays you can order anything in your underwear at 2am with a glass of whiskey in your hand, and a lot of times it will come the next day.