Gibson Brands Forums

1960 J 200

JuanCarlosVejar

44 minutes ago, Brucebubs said:

Thanks for that feedback JC - I really wanted one of the 2016 limited edition 1957 SJ-200's but just couldn't get one here in Australia so I kind of gave up ... but when I saw the 2020 was almost identical - Adirondack  on the 2016 vs Sitka Spruce on the 2020 - I contacted the Gibson distributor here in Australia and they gave the OK to place an order with a dealer.

I have a maple Huss & Dalton MJ Custom that is a superb fingerstyle guitar and good strummer but I'm hoping my new SJ-200 is a superb strummer and a good fingerstyle guitar .. if that makes sense!

I also have a Guild F-412 and a surprisingly good Epiphone EJ-200 .. so I guess I love maple jumbo's.

XcyluGpl.jpg

what year was your Guild F412 made?It Looks absolutely gorgeous!

The Epi looks great and I am sure sounds great.

I absolutely love maple guitars they are my favorite.I can wait until you get your new 200.

Sitka is what was originally used on the maple jumbos of the 1950’s.And I personally prefer Sitka on large body  maple guitars ... You can “dig in”a bit more than with Adi Spruce.On small body maple guitars I like both Adi and Sitka .

JC

2 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

Newbie here with my first Gibson on it's way.

New 2020 Gibson Custom Shop Historic Series 1957 SJ-200 in Vintage Sunburst.

I don't know if you've seen any of the clips from 2020NAMM but the work that Gibson have put into this new Historic Series is stunning.

Thermally Aged tops, very thin varnish and 'period correct' hard cases.

I'm in Australia and ETA is 4 to 6 months ... could even be more.

1vgIev6m.jpg

Congratulations and welcome to the Gibson Acoustic forum, Bruce!

Bruce may be a newbie here but has been on the AGF and UMGF for many years.

In a way, one of his postings on AGF about a Lowden guitar with signatures written on the top lead to me buying it! I love that guitar, thanks Bruce, though I think he was canning buying a guitar with sigs? This also lead me to buy my first Maton 808 with the same woods as the Lowden. Bruce is also a big fan of Maton guitars! 😝😜😐

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JuanCarlosVejar said:

what year was your Guild F412 made?It Looks absolutely gorgeous!

The Epi looks great and I am sure sounds great.

I absolutely love maple guitars they are my favorite.I can wait until you get your new 200.

Sitka is what was originally used on the maple jumbos of the 1950’s.And I personally prefer Sitka on large body  maple guitars ... You can “dig in”a bit more than with Adi Spruce.On small body maple guitars I like both Adi and Sitka .

JC

The good people over on the Guild forum let me know my F-412 is a 2002 model and they only used that color for 1 year.

Fender installed new finishing booths around this time at the Corona factory and there was a period before they got them working correctly and a few guitars suffered from faulty finishes - this is one of them. Structurally perfect, plays beautifully and sounds superb but will never have a nice glossy finish. It's a dual truss rod model,  weighs a ton and holds tune for long periods.

I also have a rosewood Martin Grand J12-40E Special - Martin's first true jumbo with 17" lower bout, one of only 231 made.

3JpIeGVl.jpg

Edited by Brucebubs