Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Memphis ES-235

fnaiberg

Hello folks,

I need a help with a question...Does someone maybe know why  Gibson discontinued this model  year after they put it into market?  I am saying that because I am very interested in buying it

in a local shop here in Europe. I saw a lot of reviews and seems to be a great and versatile guitar, so why they discontinued this model?

Thank you

unnamed.png

Gibson is notorious for doing limited Runs for all their Guitars... Some of their Guitars, like LP's, have so many variations of Models it appears to be continuous Runs of the same Guitars. When in actuality it isn't the case...

I wonder about the ES Les Paul's. I bought a Memphis Blacktop with MHS Pickups  & Bigsby. It's an amazing Guitar! I want another one. The Goldtop with P90's & Bigsby.... But, they quit making them too...

• Like 1

Gibson is notorious for doing limited Runs for all their Guitars... Some of their Guitars, like LP's, have so many variations of Models it appears to be continuous Runs of the same Guitars. When in actuality it isn't the case...

I wonder about the ES Les Paul's. I bought a Memphis Blacktop with MHS Pickups  & Bigsby. It's an amazing Guitar! I want another one. The Goldtop with P90's & Bigsby.... But, they quit making them too...

Thank you very much! Now I understand... 😃

Could be something to do with closing the Memphis factory.  All the ES models were made there, and they closed it and moved that production back to main plant in Nashville.  Maybe not as much room to make all the former models.  If it was a good seller it will come back at some point.  They often stop making certain models and then start up again a year or two later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twang Gang said:

Could be something to do with closing the Memphis factory.  All the ES models were made there, and they closed it and moved that production back to main plant in Nashville.  Maybe not as much room to make all the former models.  If it was a good seller it will come back at some point.  They often stop making certain models and then start up again a year or two later.

That's very reasonable. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone...I had a suspicion that the 235 might disappear in the move from Memphis to Nashville...so I pulled the trigger, and bought a special Ed. model, bound neck and body, with figured top, in the cherry finish. It’s for sale for the right price...made in the last days of Memphis mfg.

• Like 1