Gibson Brands Forums

vintage L7 archtop

strickland

i have a very nice L7 archtop guitar' date=' i'm trying to find the value of it but don't know what year it was made. is there somewhere i can look this up by serial number? [/quote']

Hi strickland, welcome to the website.

I seem to be the archtop guy around, and I'd be glad to help ID your L-7. That's my '47 on the left of my avatar. You'll either need to post the information and detailed photos here on this website, or you can PM information to me direct and I'll see what I can dig up for you, I have a pretty extensive library of reference books on Gibson guitars.

I have had some private e-mail dialog with strickland about this guitar, and he did send some nice photos. Although he did not send a headstock photo or the serial number, he does have a very nice mid 40's L-7 with all it's original parts, even the pickguard.

I guess it's up to him whether he takes his guitar, and our discussion, public. I say POST IT!

So broadly what is an L7 worth? They look amazing!

A realistic selling (or buying) price in todays market is between $2500 - $3000.

Prices for the "advanced body" L-7 topped out about 6 months or a year ago around $3500. As with eveything else in the current US economy, values are down. If I were buying, I would start my offer a little over $2000. If I were selling, I would be seriously considering any offer over $2500.

Archived