Gibson Brands Forums

1st Guitar choices

Skywalker

Before I get too deep here, I know a first guitar should be a cheap one, but I also believe it should be something special to draw me to want to play more than a basic guitar would provide.

I have interest in the 2020 Epiphone Les Paul Modern as it has locking tuners, good pickups and good wood. I am also interested in Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH. Both are priced similarly. I have a music background and been in a band in years past (piano and drums experience). I have fairly large hands. I have a good friend who will help me pick a guitar out who has a $6,000 Gibson Les Paul and has played for 40 years.

My problem is that I can't get to a store due to the pandemic and must wait until they reopen. What other guitars should I consider or specs that should be important to me?

Skywalker, 

The maxim for young kids starting out on guitar is that the guitar should be a cheap one. 
A cheap one with decent low action (as not to frustrate young hands), and one that hopefully sounds good and stays in tune. 

You sound like a grown up adult who knows what they want, so I wouldn't paint myself into a corner with regard to price, if I were you. 

Go for the guitar that is attractive to you in all ways, and one that you would look forward to playing and making music with. 
Don't let the prospective price become an impediment  to your acquiring your first guitar, I guess that's what I am advising..
Go for quality, and go for a name brand that might offer you a slighter better resale price later on, should you decide that it's not for you. 

Of the two guitars you listed above, I would definitely advise the Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH over the Epiphone. 
It's a more versatile guitar, and I believe it'll hold its value just a bit better. 
(And did I mention that I have been gazing at one and drooling over it for many months?)

I love the dark cherry coloured one, but the amber one is also lovely. 

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now. 
😐

• Thanks 1

A cheap guitar can be hard to play, sound bad, and aggravate you and you will put the guitar down. A more expensive one is going to be easier to play, but obviously more expensive.

How much do you want to spend? Do you want an acoustic or electric? Or both? Looks like electric. Mex Fender can be had cheap, even new. Gibson does have some inexpensive models and used is probably the way to go. You can get a nicer guitar for less money. I've owned used, new, and built my own (not from scratch) but buying the body and neck and parting the rest out.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Go for what excites you.

About ten or fifteen years ago, when I'd been an acoustic player for ages and wanted to get an electric guitar, I asked some guitar playing friends for advice, and based on what I could afford and the kinds of music I liked, they were pretty unanimous: get a Squier Stratocaster. So I did. It was a fine guitar, but I didn't really bond with it. It didn't draw me to it, I didn't play it enough, I didn't make much progress, and I ended up selling it.

Then I ran into an Epiphone Dot in a local music shop, and something drew me to it. I played it for a while, and decided to buy it. That guitar drew me to it, I played it lots, and I got much better. I started my band with it. I've since upgraded to a Gibson Les Paul, but I still have that Epiphone and I'm still fond of it.

So I would suggest you go with your gut. Pick the kind of guitar that you want, and buy the best guitar of that kind you can afford. If what you really want is a Les Paul, the Epiphone would be a good buy. If what you really want is a Telecaster, go for a Telecaster. If what you want is a pointy eighties neon heavy metal monstrosity, go for one of them. Whatever. But don't let well-meaning people persuade you to buy something sensible that you don't really want. 

Edited by paddybrown

I started playing at age 43.  My first guitar was a new 2002 Gibson LP Faded Special with humbuckers.  The street price was $599.00.  I still own it and play it regularly.  I also considered the Gibson SG Faded Special, but they were out of stock and it was unclear when they would back in stock.

I have never owned/played an Epiphone or Fender so I can’t provide any first-hand advice on either.

• 1 month later...

On Jan 1 I decided to learn to play guitar.  It's something I've always wanted to do but found reasons to put it off.  Now I'm retired, have the time and stopped making excuses.

Two of my brothers and all of my best friends play (mostly guitar) and I ran sound in the '80s so know the basics.  I've gone a little crazy and collected quite a few guitars already. 

My advice (for what it's worth) 1. Listen to as many styles/types as you can and decide what sound you want and what type of music you want to play.  There are a million videos on YT demonstrating the sound of guitars to help you decide.  Wear headphones.  2.  There are some videos listing the "four  guitars everyone should own", usually the Tele, Strat, Les Paul and ES335.  Each of those has a distinctive sound that is unique to that instrument.   All 4 are important in the history of electric music.  3.  I wanted the "classic" sound so bought a Strat with 3 single-coils and a Tele with 2 single-coils, IOW I didn't want an HH Tele or HSS or HSH Strat because they probably won't have the exact sound I expect.  Jimi, Eric and Stevie all played Strats with SSS pickups.  Later I will buy some with non-standard configurations.  4.  I have 3 guitars made in China (two Epis and a Squier) and 5 from Indonesia (two G&L, two Gretsch and a Squier) and believe the Indonesian models are superior.  All of these were from $250-$400 (on sale) and all are great guitars for the money.   I know you can't make a blanket statement (like all XXXXX guitars are better) but in those I own the Indo are perfect and all 3 Chinese have small flaws, but they are still 98% perfect.  Just My Opinion.

If you want a Fender, the Mexican (MIM) models are fantastic at around $700 new.  Many great players use them, gig with them and agree that they are probably the best bang-for-the-buck in the industry.  It is hard to tell the difference between the $700 MIM and the $2000 American versions, they're that good.  The G&L Tribute series is around $500 (less when on sale) and worth a serious look because they're almost as good as the MIM Fenders for less money.  The G&L MFD pickups sound incredible because they were invented by Leo Fender.  All G&L guitars, even the imports, have pickups made in the US.  Gretsch Streamliners ($450-$550) are fantastic if you want a semi or hollowbody, I love the two I own.

I'm living on SS and have to pinch my pennies so watch for sales and haven't bought any guitars I didn't get a discount on.  But you'll see that most retailers sell everything at list and that amazes me.  I've signed up for Guitar Center and Musician's Friend sale emails and have bought mostly from those two because they seem to have the most frequent and best sales.

I just ordered a Gibson Les Paul Tribute and it hasn't shipped yet.  It will be my most expensive guitar and I can't wait to hear how it sounds and how it compares to what I already own.

I agree with the above posts. My best suggestion is to go to a music store when they open  and many places are opening up now in many states, then look at the guitars and play as many as your heart desires.  Thats how your going to find that one you just can't live without.  You will fall in love with it and cant wait to the her home.  Thats how I get all mine. Cheap? I started off my first one my parents gave me at 13 and couldn't even play it. Worst guitar I ever seen. you get what you pay for.  Theres nothing wrong with Squier's and Epiphone's. I own both as well as others.  There are lots of people here with both also.