Gibson Brands Forums

About tuners post height

Axelrvf

Hey everyone,

Just bought new gotoh tuners and there is a ''slight''  difference in the post height.......

Do you think i will be facing any problems due to this ''slight'' difference?

Pics.

EE1vrZN.jpg

m6MWhpL.jpg

Qi0RnsM.jpg

Black tuner is the old one with the higher post, gold tuner is the new one with lower post.

You may need to alter the slots on the nut. To be specific, the back angle leading away from the fretboard, DONT take any material of the fretboard side unless needed.

You may or may not need to do this, impossible to tell from the pics, just a possibility.

Also have you changed the head shape or finish?

20 minutes ago, Matt4356 said:

You may need to alter the slots on the nut. To be specific, the back angle leading away from the fretboard, DONT take any material of the fretboard side unless needed.

You may or may not need to do this, impossible to tell from the pics, just a possibility.

Also have you changed the head shape or finish?

If i can help with better photos (maybe from another) angle, please let me know.

Yes, i have altered the finish of the headstock but only on the back and only for a milimeter, not the front side with logos and inlays. This means that i have not changed the head shape.

Very interesting.

As the new ones are locking tuners they are evidently designed for minimal string-wrap-around.

It may even slightly change/improve the tone as it looks like strings will sit better in the nut.

What's with the back of the neck - have you sanded it?

:-k

Edited by jdgm

20 hours ago, jdgm said:

Very interesting.

As the new ones are locking tuners they are evidently designed for minimal string-wrap-around.

Indeed but what worries me is when it comes half wrap thicker strings. The angle from the nut will be a challenge ....i think, like matt also noticed.

With thiner strings i can see it will work.

20 hours ago, jdgm said:

It may even slightly change/improve the tone as it looks like strings will sit better in the nut.

What's with the back of the neck - have you sanded it?

:-k

I have engraved the neck by 0.5mm aproxx. and glued walnut veneer. then i sanded it.

On 5/16/2020 at 4:46 PM, MikeRom said:

...................... but as long as the string hole is above the nut there's no problem..................

I dont quite understand this phrase......i can not make really an image of what you describe. How can the string hole be higher than the nut?