Gibson Brands Forums

HELP! Mold grows in my J-45

bugsy

Hello everyone

Recently I discover some marks on my J-45

I dont know if it was a mold or mildew. I live in Indonesia with high humidity across the year. I attach some of the picture, I dont know if you guys can see them, it is a white-ish marks on the finish and only presence in good-lighting environment. 

I already clean it with some gibson pump polish but its not working. if anyone knows how to remove that please let me know

thankyou

B23645F4-F472-408A-A83E-9F5E0F082B47.jpeg

1A86C183-A4A0-4755-AD30-E1323F8BC678.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Could it be something reacting with the nitro?

Hi. Sgt. Pepper

Im not sure, my acoustic piano has this kind issue when i left home for a quite long time.

thx for ur reply btw

What did you stuff inside the guitar hole there?  Mold would probably first develop spreading inside the guitar rather than outside. It is more likely that contaminates due to very high humidity have worked their way into the nitrocellulose finish. You can use some Naptha or Ronsonol (lighter fuel) on a clean rag to try to safely remove the spot first and some polishing compound to bring the shine back afterwards. However, the spots will reoccur unless you keep the guitar stored at its proper humidity in a dry place.

35 minutes ago, Leonard McCoy said:

What did you stuff inside the guitar hole there?  Mold would probably first develop spreading inside the guitar rather than outside. It is more likely that contaminates due to very high humidity have worked their way into the nitrocellulose finish. You can use some Naptha or Ronsonol (lighter fuel) on a clean rag to try to safely remove the spot first and some polishing compound to bring the shine back afterwards. However, the spots will reoccur unless you keep the guitar stored at its proper humidity in a dry place.

Hi Leonard,

I put some bamboo charcoal there, it is good for dehumidifying guitar in high humid area. Mine probbly range above 59 % throughout the year so i need that.

have u ever done that before? Im afraid i can ruin my guitar’s finish. I always put my guitar in the case, when im not playing

thx for ur reply , always good to have more knowledge n opinion everyday

Polish is not going to kill mold and mildew spores. And that is what has to be done.   UV light is effective.  You could also  try putting it in a small room with a fan and dehumidifier or  using silica gel placed inside the case and the guitar.  The problem is the way you would normally clean it all up is a 1/10 mixture of water and bleach..   But what impact that would have on the finish  would probably not be good.  What you might do is talk with a conservator at your National Museum.  They would be well versed in dealing with the issue on woods with all kinds of finishes.

Edited by zombywoof

On 5/31/2020 at 6:23 PM, zombywoof said:

Polish is not going to kill mold and mildew spores. And that is what has to be done.   UV light is effective.  You could also  try putting it in a small room with a fan and dehumidifier or  using silica gel placed inside the case and the guitar.  The problem is the way you would normally clean it all up is a 1/10 mixture of water and bleach..   But what impact that would have on the finish  would probably not be good.  What you might do is talk with a conservator at your National Museum.  They would be well versed in dealing with the issue on woods with all kinds of finishes.

Hi zombywoof

Ive done some research and mostly it all came to using a naptha, and also the same suggestion as yours, UV light.

thx for sharing such knowledge