Gibson Brands Forums

Difference between Custom and Deluxe J-45

tremolo arm

I am looking at a 2019 J-45 Deluxe Rosewood.

I know that  Gibson used to make a J-45 Custom, also with rosewood back and side. 

What are the main differences between these guitars? I can only see visual difference, mainly the logos on the headstock and the pick guards,  but are there any technical differences?

Thanks

Edited by tremolo arm

1 hour ago, tremolo arm said:

main differences

Main difference?

B-L-I-N-G .

They could've just put it out there with that nice burst, and bound neck (they did the headstock, too? That is usually reserved for their higher bling models),  and I wouldn't have felt too self-conscious about playing it, but they kept adding-to. Is that a painted line around the pickguard? Looks like both the J-45 Custom and DeeLuxe have the ebony fretboards, but neck carve can change over the years- you might want to sit down with one before committing.

Never even heard of a J-45 Deluxe. Not that I don’t keep up with the new stuff, which I don’t. Staying on top of the different J-45’s has become a full time job. Glad you asked the question though. I’m sure somebody on this forum will let us know. Now I’m curious! 

5 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

Never even heard of a J-45 Deluxe. Not that I don’t keep up with the new stuff, which I don’t. Staying on top of the different J-45’s has become a full time job. Glad you asked the question though. I’m sure somebody on this forum will let us know. Now I’m curious! 

I think the J45 deluxe was similar to the J200 deluxe models.  With abalone inside the binding on the outer rim and sound hole.  Then they would used Maple , koa, or Rosewood for the back and sides.  Or other types of hardwoods  in some cases the fingerboards were bound same with the headstocks. I had a few of those from the 90s  not sure how the present ones are done. 

4 hours ago, Paul14 said:

We had a member here who once attempted to count the number of variations of the J45 one year.    I think he gave up when he breached 90.

12 hours ago, zombywoof said:

We had a member here who once attempted to count the number of variations of the J45 one year.    I think he gave up when he breached 90.

One Wiley Fool -   a prestigious task when you go back several years and include 'limited edition' models ordered by Five Star dealers.  I think at one point a few years ago, there was even a standard colored/stained Pink.   I'm holding out for one covered in sequins. 

The colorful floral abalone inlay on the headstock - going back 5+ years - was designed by Ren Ferguson and, as one might guess, only put on blingyer guitars.  I would guess it helps  to balance  the other stuff going on.   Impossible not to like it.  If you like sequins at least.