Gibson Brands Forums

Reward by Gibson

olie

Has anyone else seen the reward offered by Gibson on their Gibson Gazette #45 for their 1959-1960 shipping ledger?

This is very intriguing and I'd be interested in a comment from John Thomas as to what he thinks of this turn of events.

I know from reading his great "Kalamazoo Gals" that he has tried to unearth and establish an accurate chronology of Gibson's arcane bookkeeping "methods".

Check it out,all.

It came to my email today from Gibson.  Since '59 seemed to be such an iconic year for several models I guess they would like to know how many of each they shipped and where they went.  Wonder how many fakes they will get trying to claim the reward?

I saw the Gibson email with it.  Sounds like it’s a holy grail of missing Gibson guitarsrecord keeping.  As well as a cool marketing thing.  Be interesting to see if it results in it turning up (subject to validation as the fine print states.)

Should get the attention of a lot of vintage guitar fans and new 1959 reissue guitar buyers.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

This has made the news a number of places.  Even Forbes ran an article on it.   But there is always hope it will turn up.  Many years ago a missing account book from 1836-1837 that a number of us historians had been searching for all of a sudden popped up.   It was found in a local attic.  It is now safely housed in a university archives along with the earlier account books.  

• Like 1

Well who worked in shipping recieving at the time? Or in the marketing dept? Or North and south sales at the plant?  

Its like someone we know that was here that had kept records of Gibsons prior to 5 years ago at Bozeman.   He had a wealth of info. That you wont be seeing again.    He may of tugged on alot of people chains here. But he sure ment well.     Gibson  wont share what he did.  

5 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

The articles notes that ledger may simply inadvertently have been left behind ad not made the trip from Kalamazoo to Nashville.  It also, however, states no questions will be asked should it be returned.

Really? Didnt the plant close.  So maybe Heritage guitars  has them.   The no questions asked makes me wonder if Gibson thinks there theres.  

19 minutes ago, slimt said:

Really? Didnt the plant close.  So maybe Heritage guitars  has them.   The no questions asked makes me wonder if Gibson thinks there theres.  

My understanding is Gibson held an auction when they shut the Kalamazoo plant down.  The guys who started Heritage attended and bid on and won a lot of the old equipment..  I recall once running into someone who attended and ended up with one of the acoustic guitar jigs.

Edited by zombywoof