Gibson Brands Forums

Size of bridgepins for J-45

olie

I'm interested in alternate bridgepins for a 2014 J-45 standard and I am not sure about sizing.

I see size 2A and I see 5.14 mm. at the crown and it's like so many other areas - the standards seem to jump around from one method of measurement to another. Any definitive numbers that would work? Please and thank you.

• Like 1

I bought some bone bridge pins for a J-45 a couple of years ago.  I also got them from Bob Colosi at guitarsaddles.com.  I talked to him on the phone about fit  prior to making the purchase and he recommended size 2A.  They worked out great.

He sells pins made from of a variety of materials at a wide range of prices.  He also posts pictures of them on his website so you can see what they actually look like.  

I’d suggest slotted pins.  They’re all a small bit different.  Sort of like people. You might need to play with them to see which pin and hole line up best.  Sort of like people.  And which slot accommodates the bigger 6 th string as opposed to the skinnier 1st string.  And then get a fine tipped sharpie and number the pins so you can keep them straight.   Because  you want them snug against the bridge plate and not chewing up the hole.  

• Like 1

Hi Ollie, I have a 2015 J-45 standard (bought it used) ...it had the plastic all white pins when it came in, and I wanted the white tusk pins because thats what now comes with J-45's, and they seem to sound great. So I ordered a set from this web site... they are the Graphtech  ( PP-1100-01 Tusk Traditional with no dot)  ..that is what it will say when you find it on the site. They fit my J-45 perfect with no modifications. You will find the head a tiny bit smaller and set deeper in if you wish, they can be a bit harder to get out as the pin head is slightly smaller, I use a small butter knife to get them out easily,  and put cloth between the knife and pin as I remove it. These are the exact type Gibson now uses, and you will see that the head on top is just a bit flatter than the old plastic pins...but they look very Gibson, and sound just wonderful. Here is the web site...but you can probably find these on many web sites if you google the part number above (PP-1100-01) These should be the exact pin you need for Gibson specifications! Hope this helps you! Gibson now uses these tusk pins on the new model J-45's and aslo Hummingbirds,...and they will fit the 2014 and 15 models..at least they do on mine.

https://graphtech.com/collections/tusq-bridge-pins-traditional/products/tusq-bridge-pins-white-with-no-dot

Edited by ALD323
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ALD323 said:

Hi Ollie, I have a 2015 J-45 standard (bought it used) ...it had the plastic all white pins when it came in, and I wanted the white tusk pins because thats what now comes with J-45's, and they seem to sound great. So I ordered a set from this web site... they are the Graphtech  ( PP-1100-01 Tusk Traditional with no dot)  ..that is what it will say when you find it on the site. They fit my J-45 perfect with no modifications. You will find the head a tiny bit smaller and set deeper in if you wish, they can be a bit harder to get out as the pin head is slightly smaller, I use a small butter knife to get them out easily,  and put cloth between the knife and pin as I remove it. These are the exact type Gibson now uses, and you will see that the head on top is just a bit flatter than the old plastic pins...but they look very Gibson, and sound just wonderful. Here is the web site...but you can probably find these on many web sites if you google the part number above (PP-1100-01) These should be the exact pin you need for Gibson specifications! Hope this helps you! Gibson now uses these tusk pins on the new model J-45's and aslo Hummingbirds,...and they will fit the 2014 and 15 models..at least they do on mine.

https://graphtech.com/collections/tusq-bridge-pins-traditional/products/tusq-bridge-pins-white-with-no-dot

I like the looks of those.  Saving that site for future reference!