Gibson Brands Forums

GIBSON G45 Standard

Davidml52

7 minutes ago, Roblukacs said:

It plays fine, just seems odd. I was curious if it was a quality issue or intentional. I have the inspection sheet and they checked off all good.

I'm sure it was intentional, and if its wood and Gibson can put it on a guitar and sell it, that is there bottom line right now. 

Nobody here can tell you whether it's intentional, but you could have contacted Gibson if you really wanted an answer. Earlier you said "I can't believe a company like Gibson would make this big of a screw up." So, it seems like you are more than just "curious" about it. Personally, I would not have accepted a guitar like that.

I have worked as a carpenter and managed several carpentry shops, so I understand the phenomenon.  I guess they are trying to use every single board-foot to keep the costs down, but it's not something I've seen on other Gibsons and I find it unattractive. I also think the hole in the side is weird though, so obviously this just isn't the guitar for me. 🤣

I think the G series are a fine line of guitars, and I’d buy one. Especially since it doesn’t involve shipping from around the world and all that entails.

That said, I own a Taylor AD17 that is maybe the same vibe as the Gibson, but much better execution. The finish is satin. But they have made some very intelligent choices to make the guitar pop more visually, including creative use of stain. If The G45 were stained the same way as the AD17, a price point buyer would have the great Gibson tone, and a wow factor guitar too.  Check them out and use your imagination. You will see what I mean.