Gibson Brands Forums

GIBSON G45 Standard

Davidml52

I had this guitar 2 months now and beginning to think thg is guitar lacks quality control.... on the top where the spruce connects to the side of the binding there are wrinkles on the sides where it connects . I have an Alvarez for 600 dollars dont look this bad....... I now wish I never even bought the guitar.... i love the sound yes.... but i think it was ju st throwed together..... my d35 martin,guild f250e,Alvarez md60bg and even my mitchell 200 dollar guitar dont have these wrinkles....

Edited by Davidml52

Actually, I am not too sure we can help at all.  If you have a new guitar warrantee issue, you should be contacting Gibson Customer Service or the authorized Gibson guitar dealer that you purchased the guitar new from or an authorized Gibson repairperson to see if Gibson will cover it if it’s a factory  defect.   Assuming you purchased the guitar new.    We’re just a forum of guitar owners/players, although we are interested in hearing or seeing about what is going with your guitar.  And, maybe we can tell you if something warrants your contacting Gibson or if it’s just a common non-issue, like the way the wood grain just happens to be or common finish checking, inherent with nitro finishes.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark
  • Like 1

Lightly built guitars have a tendancy to ”show” traces of what is underneath the top. Neck/tail block or bracing. In certain light, I can see ”wrinkles” in the tops of my guitars where the tail block ends.

Maybe that's what you see?

Lars

I have little experience ( very little ) with Gibson and  Im not sure what wavy means but I've had/have Martins from the 40's through the ,mid 90's 

and from time to time  from the application of the finish ( maybe they applied the finish heavier ons some ) I dont know  but as you would look down the soundboard

some had that wavy look to the finish and that wasn't a construction issues it is just the way the finish is applied,  w/o seeing what you are talking about

I cant image what you are talking,  I do hope whatever your concerns are that you get some resolution! 

s

First - Welcome Aboard.   Thanks for coming here to bounce this question off us. I'm sure we all hope you get your problem resolved, keep your Gibson and continue to hang out here. 

I'm guessing a Martin that is 3x as expensive might be different cosmetically, but to suggest a $200 Mitchell is superior cosmetically  to a brand new G-45 is something I could only accept if I held both in my hands.   Photos wouldn't do it.       As has been stated - today's ultra thin nitrocellulose finishes are different than the 1/2" finish you find on bar tops.  Spruce has grain lines which, before the finish is applied - are wavy: softer and harder parallel grains which absorb the finish differently.  Unless you apply, wet sand, re-apply and repeat 3 or 4 times, you will get waves.  Waves which you can only see if you hold the guitar up to reflective light.   A Chinese guitar built with different wood and a different finish by a 12 year old may look better to you, and a $3000 Martin may as well. But you are comparing apples and oranges. As QM  suggested - you really need to be talking to the person who sold you this guitar.   If the wave lines are not a result of the grain - and can be seen under normal conditions, you may have a case. G'luck. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I bought one of these new about 2 years ago and the back of the guitar body has an unfinished stripe in the bottom center. Its weird. Its like they didn't stain it in that area. Looks like a skunk guitar. Doesn't Gibson have quality controls? I thought about buying some stain and finishing that spot. Not sure what shade they use though.

4 minutes ago, Roblukacs said:

I bought one of these new about 2 years ago and the back of the guitar body has an unfinished stripe in the bottom center. Its weird. Its like they didn't stain it in that area. Looks like a skunk guitar. Doesn't Gibson have quality controls? I thought about buying some stain and finishing that spot. Not sure what shade they use though.

The Board needs to see this rare case. For qualified comments, please upload a photo.

Here we go again once again. New guy comes here with a QA issue and you guys refuse to believe it unless you have photo and scientific proof.  If he came here complaining about his Martin you guys would all be laughing, pointing and dumping all over Chris's company and you know it. Who cares how much his Gibson was? Weather it was G-45 or a Dove. It should leave the factory with no QA issues, that is what QA is for. And I have said it time and time again Martin is not perfect either. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, pimousso said:

I've never really cared about the 45 series finish unless it can be dangerous for the structure.

Each is unique for its tone and for its finish issues 😁

What? Dangerous for the structure, and its finish issues. What is dangerous and why should a guitar that is 2 months old have finish issues?

22 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

What? Dangerous for the structure, and its finish issues. What is dangerous and why should a guitar that is 2 months old have finish issues?

Dangerous is not the good word (I lack english vocabulary), I mean serious problem like bridge glue problem etc...

I just said that I can live with finish issue if I really like the guitar. Playbility, tone, ... are my priority. I wouldn't pass a really good guitar for a finish issue. I've had j45 which had little finish issues and could with that.

12 minutes ago, pimousso said:

Dangerous is not the good word (I lack english vocabulary), I mean serious problem like bridge glue problem etc...

I just said that I can live with finish issue if I really like the guitar. Playbility, tone, ... are my priority. I wouldn't pass a really good guitar for a finish issue. I've had j45 which had little finish issues and could with that.

I guess if a guitar is used and it has a finish issue okay, but paying new J-45 money and it has an issue is not acceptable and if you have new J-45 money and are willing to look the other way is your choice. Would you take ownership of a brand new car with a dent in it, and it can probably still drive you back and forth to work? Your logic escapes me.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

33 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I guess if a guitar is used and it has a finish issue okay, but paying new J-45 money and it has an issue is not acceptable and if you have new J-45 money and are willing to look the other way is your choice. Would you take ownership of a brand new car with a dent in it, and it can probably still drive you back and forth to work? Your logic escapes me.

My Logic is that one guitar can make me happy independantly of its finish (in certain limits of course) and that's what I pay a builder for.

To the topic, the OP says he loves the sound of the guitar so, depending on the severity of the problem, returning the guitar could be questioned no ? But only him can answer this...

Edited by pimousso

31 minutes ago, pimousso said:

My Logic is that one guitar can make me happy independantly of its finish (in certain limits of course) and that's what I pay a builder for.

To the topic, the OP says he loves the sound of the guitar so, depending on the severity of the problem, returning the guitar could be questioned no ? But only him can answer this...

That is right, but its new and should have no issues. I do not understand why Gibson owners look the other way on issues. He is here with stating he has an issue. 

Another one and out.

We need another lounge - ' Complaint and Venting Department' where there are no responses. You get it off your chest and move on. It would be a good place for moderators to move post that qualify.

This guy hasn't been on the Forum since the day after he posted 

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

Another one and out.

We need another lounge - ' Complaint and Venting Department' where there are no responses. You get it off your chest and move on. It would be a good place for moderators to move post that qualify.

This guy hasn't been on the Forum since the day after he posted 

Happens all the time.

On 2/3/2022 at 10:28 AM, Roblukacs said:

I bought one of these new about 2 years ago and the back of the guitar body has an unfinished stripe in the bottom center. 

Sorry, but I don't quite get this. You bought it new two years ago, and only now you're complaining and asking random people on a forum whether it's normal? Two years ago you could have gotten it exchanged by the dealer or contacted Gibson directly if you were unhappy.