Gibson Brands Forums

Jerry.

Mutha

Yep. I remember the day. I got home from work and turned on the TV and they were talking about him and knew he had to have died. Saw The  Grateful Dead 14 times, not that fake c-rap they have been schleping around, and Jerry solo once.

Got some Dead on.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Still my favourite player. No one else can reach quite as far inside. 

The Dead would likely still be my favourite band too if they were intact & current.

Saw many a show where Jerry was on.  Living in the Bay Area of SF at the time, when you could afford to, they were always playing there.  When will musicians learn hard drugs kill you dead.

There is a true saying - There is nothing like a Dead show.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

19 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The live recordings we collected are wonderful, though the sound always feels different because of the lack of volume. I would not abuse my neighbour's peace and I dont want to destroy my ears with cranked earphones.

The Dead played pretty clean, but they got the bite using volume. It would resonate through the ground and up through your spine. It made for a sort of'natural' distortion.

Maybe we should hire some halls and party to cranked up live tapes.

On 8/10/2020 at 8:49 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Saw many a show where Jerry was on.  Living in the Bay Area of SF at the time, when you could afford to, they were always playing there.  When will musicians learn hard drugs kill you dead.

I always liked what Bill Graham said. "it's not that they are the best at what they do. it's that they are the only one's that do what they do". 

On 8/14/2020 at 5:22 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yep very true. Phish try but bore me.

I tried to get into Phish, and persevered for the longest time. There are plenty of bands that want that special - improv - uniqueness. The whole so called Jam Band thing is really down to the Dead's example.

Another band that modeled themselves on this is String Cheese Incident. Now them I do like, and its great music, but doesn't travel beyond that. 

On 8/16/2020 at 4:40 AM, merciful-evans said:

I tried to get into Phish, and persevered for the longest time. There are plenty of bands that want that special - improv - uniqueness. The whole so called Jam Band thing is really down to the Dead's example.

Another band that modeled themselves on this is String Cheese Incident. Now them I do like, and its great music, but doesn't travel beyond that. 

yep. I like String Cheese Incident also. theres a young band out of the Baltimore area called Pigeons Playing Ping-Pong.  they're great to see live .