Gibson Brands Forums

Recommendations

MikeyP13

Hello, 

I was looking at getting a new Gibson acoustic guitar. I like the songwriter series and the small bodied guitars. I’m relatively short and am worried the songwriter will be too big for me, but I’d say I play pretty firmly and don’t really fingerpick, so I don’t know if a small bodied guitar is right for me either. If anyone has any recommendation as to which is better for someone like me or any new ideas, it’d be much appreciated. Thank you! 

Welcome to the forum  Mikeyp13..I too am not a tall long armed man so I tend to gravitate to smaller bodied guitars.  I own a Songwriter and it is pretty comfortable for me.  I also own a couple of the Studio J-45's and they are far more comfy to play for me personally as they are less deep so I find it easier than the standards.  Best of luck to you on your search.

Yes, welcome and good hunting!    Soft (slope, round) shoulder models are less imposing than squares.     Hard to feel free to go to shops and play a bunch right now due to covid, but that would be the best way to find what you are comfortable playing, no?  Hope you find the right one soon.   

Welcome to the forum!

Finding the comfort and sound is challenging. Playing as many as you can get your hands on is the best way but that isn’t always possible. I’m not familiar with the songwriter series. As far as small body I have a 12 fret Nick Lucas that fills both requirements. I also have an L00 RI and a vintage LG1 that are very nice. Don’t know where you’re located but if you’re near me you would be welcome to play them and decide for yourself. 

Welcome to the forum...

I think the songwriter is long scale for what its worth... vs short scale for many other of the acoustics. 

I have a J-45TV and a J-45 Studio, which as mentioned has a slimmer body front to back. It is the first one I pick up - because it is so comfortable. I really love mine and can't wait to start gigging with it again...

And depending on the music you play, there are a couple of smaller bodies you should look at... the LG-2 shape (more generalized sound - strumming and finger-picking and finger style) and the L-00 shape  (dry blues)