Gibson Brands Forums

2018 Les Paul Traditional

MackTheKnife

Hi,

I wonder how the 2018 Les Paul Traditional compares to the new 60s standard Les Paul.

I‘m interested in both, but can get the Traditional for less $$!

A couple of questions:

Was 2018 a good year in terms of quality?

Which model sounds warmer? I like to play some jazz and blues, mostly clean, and am looking for a full and mellow tone.

Which one would complement my SG standard (2016)?

12 hours ago, MackTheKnife said:

Hi,

I wonder how the 2018 Les Paul Traditional compares to the new 60s standard Les Paul.

I‘m interested in both, but can get the Traditional for less $$!

A couple of questions:

Was 2018 a good year in terms of quality?

Which model sounds warmer? I like to play some jazz and blues, mostly clean, and am looking for a full and mellow tone.

Which one would complement my SG standard (2016)?

I have not played a 2018 model, but I think Gibsons have been pretty good for a few years now. I'm not aware of any specific problems. Sometimes people complain of manufacturing defects, but those are ones that elude the QC for some reason. Its not down to a specific year. That's why its best to try out guitars first.

As for sound, compare the specs (links bottom of the page) of the pickups. Generally the higher output ones will be sound warmer, though also produce distortion earlier. That can be remedied by backing down the volume on the guitar of course.

Mack, I think you'll find the biggest difference between the two will be the neck size, I have a 2014 Traditional and the neck of chunky to say the least, it's a lot bigger than my R8 (but I haven't played a 2018 model) and the 60's Standard will have a 60's slim taper one.

Regarding the sound they're both Les Pauls so I would imagine you'll get the sound that your looking for regardless of which pickup type you go for.  Play them if you can.  

No two Gibson necks are identical, but both being of the rounded profile they will be very similar.  The 2018 Traditional has Burstbucker 1 and 2 Pickups which are pretty hot and will give a bright clean tone.  The 60s model from 2020 has the 61R and 61T pickups which have a more vintage tone and will breakup a little sooner, a very nice tone and is actually more vintage or traditional sounding than the pickups in the Traditional model.

Best if you can try them both and hear the difference for yourself to see which you prefer.