Gibson Brands Forums

Indiana - original song

rbpicker

This tune weaves its way through the seasons in the small town where I grew up in central Indiana.  My memories are so vivid as I look back on a childhood that provided everything I can imagine needing...and none of it involved material possessions.  A great time and place to grow up.  I miss that kind of simplicity.  This is sort of a companion song to the dusty  road tune.

I hope you enjoy my musings.  Thank you for listening.

roger

Edited by rbpicker

Thanks dhanners.

You know, I’ve considered submitting the song to the state, not to be used as the official song, but just to have it on file as my little tribute to the state I loved as a kid.  Probably would be met with something like “yeah thanks...don’t call us, we’ll call you”.  😊. I’m sure they get all kinds of stuff like this.

thanks again.

37 minutes ago, rbpicker said:

Thanks dhanners.

You know, I’ve considered submitting the song to the state, not to be used as the official song, but just to have it on file as my little tribute to the state I loved as a kid.  Probably would be met with something like “yeah thanks...don’t call us, we’ll call you”.  😊. I’m sure they get all kinds of stuff like this.

thanks again.

Don't assume they get songs this good. It wouldn't hurt to pursue it. It is a finely crafted song.

You never know when there'll be a need for a song like this. A few years ago, a group in Terre Haute wanted to raise money to erect a statue of Paul Dresser, the Terre Hautean who wrote "On the Banks of the Wabash, Far Away."  One of their fundraising ideas was to compile and sell a CD called "The Wabash," featuring local musicians doing songs about the river.

I knew a guy who knew a guy associated with the group and I emailed him and said, "Hey, I have a song about the Wabash. How about putting me on the CD?"

I was stretching the truth a bit. I didn't have a song about the Wabash.  The group wrote back and said, "Sure! Send the song and we'll consider it."

So I sat down and wrote a song called, "The Terre Haute Waltz," rounded up some players and went into a friend's studio and recorded it. They wound up using it on the CD and I even re-recorded it for my 2014 record, "There Are No Secrets in This Town." (The song is on YouTube.)

I had hopes the city council in Terre Haute might make it the official city song and I would bask in all the wealth, fame and groupies that entails. That never happened....

Bottom line is, you've got a great song and you should get it out there so people can hear it.

Edited by dhanners623

And another thought.... You should check with the Indiana Arts Commission to see what artist grants may be available. A couple of great friends of mine in the Twin Cities, who play under the name Curtis & Loretta (because their names are, well, Curtis and Loretta) got a grant from the Minnesota State Arts Board to write and record an album telling Minnesota stories. No idea if Indiana has any similar programs but you could write and sing songs of rural and small-town Indiana. You're already at least two songs in.

https://www.curtisandloretta.com/blog

On edit.... Hey, if the IAC will cut a $2,000 check to someone to attend a writers' conference in San Antonio so she can "gain editorial and industry perspective to aid in the revision and marketing of her novel," and if they can fund other musicians, there's no reason you can't come up with a proposal and apply for a grant. Quite a few of the recipients are musicians. https://www.in.gov/arts/files/IAC_FY20-IAP.pdf

Edited by dhanners623

A real gem, Roger!  This takes me back down memory lane and the older I get the more I realize why those memories are so important.  Really a sweet tune.  I know every generation has its own story to tell, but I can’t help but feel a bit of sadness for those who didn’t grow-up when we did.

Thanks so much for the kind words, folks.
 I feel exactly the same way, MissouriPicker.  Born in 46, I couldn’t ask for a better place and time to grow up in.  Fishing on the river from morning til evening (just be home by supper time).  Sitting under the streetlight at night talking to my buddies, walking to school, sledding on the local hill til late evening...on and on the memories flow.  I am a blessed man.  Some people would call it boring (especially today’s youth), but to me it was perfect.

I’m saddened by what I see going on these days. Kids don’t experience that simple “goodness” that we knew.

thanks again,

Roger