Gibson Brands Forums

Dating a LP 100 (I think)

jon2095

I know this is covered extensively elsewhere, and I have tried dating using the serial number, but no luck. 

I have a Korean made Black Les Paul 100, at least I think that is the model. I bought from a mate in Manchester, UK in 1995, and he bought it in Johnny Roadhouse in Manchester in 1994. 

However, when i try and decode the serial number (E020213), all websites suggest it was built in 2002, which can't be correct!

I also havnt seen a model that has both the standard hum bucker and what looks like a PAF pickup? It had sat in the back of a cupboard for years as I usually play Strat style guitars, but recently got the soldering iron out and got it working, and despite its cheap beginnings (I paid 40quid for it), its fun to play, and loud!!

Any help would be appreciated 

Thanks

IMG_5391.JPG

IMG_5392.JPG

IMG_5393.JPG

IMG_5394.JPG

They made "low cost" versions of the LP100 for sale in some of the bigger retailers at the same time the LP100 was out.  I had one (it was an LP90 model) in cherry burst that I bought from Sam Ash sometime around 2000 or 2001.  Incredibly light, bolt-on neck, and a neckplate like yours.  Yours is missing the cream colored pickguard, and has had two knobs changed as well.

As has been said already, the covered pickup is not correct (and doesn't even look to be Epiphone).  These were $199 new back in 2000 and do not appear in any of the catalogs I have from that time period.  I don't know exactly when they switched from "GIBSON" truss-rod covers (to the Epsilon "E" you see today) but I think it was right around the Millenium (2003-ish?).

The tuners on there match my 1997 LP Special II, and though I don't have it any more, the LP90 had slightly better (Grover copies) on it IIRC.  I think your serial number is a sequential one and the "E" isn't a factory code but to indicate a special run for (E)piphone.  1993-1995 dating is probably correct.  

It looks like a Les Paul-100 Studio, one of the few 100's that came with  the cream colored plastic

Lp100EB-pearl.jpg

These also came with the plain heastock

Lp100NoScript.jpg

Les Paul-100 Studio
    1993-Current
Body:
    Slim Mahogany body
    Maple cap
Neck:
    Bolt-on Mahogany neck
    Rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays
    Clipped-ear headstock with gold "Les Paul Model" silkscreen
    Clipped-ear headstock with no silkscreen (early models)
    12" fingerboard radius
    24.75" scale
    1.68" nut width
Electronics:
    Open Coil 700T/650R humbuckers
    2 Vol. 2 Tone controls
    3-way selector switch
Hardware:
    Chrome hardware
    Tune-o-matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece
    Speed knobs
    Elevated pickguard