Gibson Brands Forums

Blues on Maton through Tonedexter - Warning: Maton Content

BluesKing777

One for the Maton fans!😎

While exploring some options, some kind of Maton sacrilege probably, I played my Maton Messiah 808 using just the undersaddle portion of the pickup system - internal mic turned off - and ran it to a Tonedexter file I made ages ago with a Neumann KM184 mic.

Tonedexter % about 9 o'clock on the dial...just on.

I like the result - handy perhaps if the internal mic is giving drama...noisy room, or in my case a noisy floor fan blowing at me (hot here), storm outside.....and noisy household!

So a short blues on the Maton plugged direct from Tonedexter to iMac/Garageband:

BluesKing777.

• 2 months later...

Hey BluesKing777, (and other Gibson forum members :))

Tasty playing there. Thansk for sharing!

I found this page googling about the Maton Messiah 808 cutaway, As I consider buying one. (aka ordering a lefty)

Since there is no way for me to try, let alone compare lefty Matons, I must do my research very well.

I'm a singer who accompanies himself with a rather "fingerpicky style" of guitar playing. Some but scarce strumming in my accompanyment.

I almost always play plugged in and I like smaller shaped guitars.
I don't mind if they are a bit "deeper", especially if that brings out an interesting sound.

I read that the Messiash is rather "midrangy" compared to dreadnaughts. Should I interpret that as "mid boom" or rather ast "more flat response in contrast to a more bass heavy dreadnought"? 

I play a concert size mahogany top guitar now and while it is very articulate, I find it rather "strong and direct".
I'm looking for something articulate still but a tad more easy in the attack. I'm not a fan of the size of dreadnaughts and was aiming for a concert or 808 Maton anyway.

Is there a good reason for me to steer away or actually going for a 808 Messiah? 

I'll try to check in on this page as much as possible but would you be so kind to drop me a line at lievendv ---at-- gmail  --dot --- com ?
Thanks a lot!

LievenDV
A curious lefty picker from Belgium

Edited by LievenDV

I would never buy a guitar I haven’t played again.....

So I would lower my sights to something available locally. Only you know what you like.

Maton were closed for Covid lockdown and at the same time people bought guitars online in a frenzy and shops are now trying to restock. I have no idea but suspect to order one could take a long while...email Maton and check.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777