Gibson Brands Forums

Truss Rod Broken?

jucanery

Maybe it's a 2-way truss rod - bonus!  Could have been stuck in the "middle" where there was no tension to make either a forward or back bow movement to counteract the string tension. 

As @mihcmac asked, did your neck straighten out?  If it did, then you're TR did what it was supposed to. 

Are you measuring the relief when tuned up to pitch? 

Finally, as long as the TR turns freely, that's a good thing - that it's not pinned where you can't apply tension to the rod. 

12 minutes ago, jucanery said:

Thanks, yes it did straighten out. Yes, a bit of relief. Low action, no fret buzz.  And yes it turns freely. 

2 way truss rod?

2-way TRs can add relief whereas a one-way TR can only add tension to the neck.  I like the 2-way TRs better as these are more modern.  For instance, my Jackson Soloist has one. 

So that being said, if you say try to "loosen" the TR to take the nut off or something like this (know someone who tried to do this in the past), if you go too much, you're making the forward bow worse if you don't know you have a 2-way TR.  You'll probably never get that nut off, haha! 

There's a point on a 2-way TR where it is doing nothing - i.e. in-between where it could either add tension or relief to the neck.  IMHO, an unengaged TR is a bad thing.  You want some tension on it just to hold the nut in place better.  Incremental adjustments only after it is set up right at some point in time.  I adjust mine once the cold (dry) winter starts and once the hot (humid) summer starts.  And I'm not cranking them either - incremental. 

When I buy a guitar, I do my cranking - if necessary - the first time, then afterwards being that it is stored/used properly, the adjustments are small afterwards so long as these are done at regular times.  Either way, never hurts to quick measure your relief and work on keeping it as stable as possible. 

Best wishes!

41 minutes ago, jucanery said:

Yes, and it's working normally. Only it's deeper than the usual. Thanks 

Good, if it holds the the tension it should be good. 

It looks like with the gold hardware, inlays and binding on the headstock that it may be a Les Paul Custom, if so being an upper end Epiphone you shouldn't have neck problems...

19 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Good, if it holds the the tension it should be good. 

It looks like with the gold hardware, inlays and binding on the headstock that it may be a Les Paul Custom, if so being an upper end Epiphone you shouldn't have neck problems...

yes, it's an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Alpine White. Thanks

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

2-way TRs can add relief whereas a one-way TR can only add tension to the neck.  I like the 2-way TRs better as these are more modern.  For instance, my Jackson Soloist has one. 

So that being said, if you say try to "loosen" the TR to take the nut off or something like this (know someone who tried to do this in the past), if you go too much, you're making the forward bow worse if you don't know you have a 2-way TR.  You'll probably never get that nut off, haha! 

There's a point on a 2-way TR where it is doing nothing - i.e. in-between where it could either add tension or relief to the neck.  IMHO, an unengaged TR is a bad thing.  You want some tension on it just to hold the nut in place better.  Incremental adjustments only after it is set up right at some point in time.  I adjust mine once the cold (dry) winter starts and once the hot (humid) summer starts.  And I'm not cranking them either - incremental. 

When I buy a guitar, I do my cranking - if necessary - the first time, then afterwards being that it is stored/used properly, the adjustments are small afterwards so long as these are done at regular times.  Either way, never hurts to quick measure your relief and work on keeping it as stable as possible. 

Best wishes!

Thanks man. Yeah it's a two way. It's working fine, no problems, I was just surprised as it went down a bit. Cheers 

• Like 1

A Luthier reached out to me and told me that everything is fine. Some guitars do ship wit the truss rod "not engaged". 

He showed me pictures of a few Epiphone's just like that. 

Many thanks for your support. 

Now's time to make a video demo :)

Cheers 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, jucanery said:

Thanks man. Yeah it's a two way. It's working fine, no problems, I was just surprised as it went down a bit. Cheers 

FYI:   The specs on the LP Custom mentions that it has an Adjustable TrussRod under the Hardware section. But the LP Prophecy with its long 24 fret asymmetrical SlimTaper neck, is the one that has the Dual Action TrussRod.

But nothing like a White LP Custom..... Below is the 2020 model... 🙂

front-banner-1600_900.png

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1