Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Lg-2 1952 question

Dale Miller

1 hour ago, Dale Miller said:

I have a 1952 Lg-2.  Does anyone know the color and size of the original bridge pins?  Were they bone?

The originals were plastic, and probably would have been white, but might have (rarely) been black. Size should be the same as other Gibson flat tops from that period, but I can't tell you the dimensions. You might go on Bob Colosi's website for more info.  Just click on the products tab, and go from there.

Elderly Instruments carries Antique Acoustics  vintage repro bridge pins, including ones designed to fit your guitar.

Bob Colosi

Edited by j45nick
added additional thought

Changing pins is a fun and easy way to chase tone differences, similar to changing types of strings between different materials.

Because it is completely reversible,  changing pins compared to the originals makes zero difference in the value or authenticity of the guitar.

Bob Colosi has even made me pins that look exactly like the originals but are of entirely different material. He has also made me pins that look decidedly different from  the originals.

As I said, this is completely reversible, and an interesting experiment. If you only want to go purely authentic, the Antique Acoustics pins as found on the Elderly Instruments website are as close as you can come to the originals, which were a plastic that often has crumbled or distorted over time..

Willi Henkes  Antique Acoustic hard plastic bridge pins are pretty much the standard for Gibson and Martin  restoration.  I wish they would bring their tuners back. I have been meaning to buy sets for my '32 L1 (which I do have the original pins for) and '42 J50 (without its original pins) but as the pins that are in both are doing the job they need to I am just not in a hurry.  I  guess I am more of a if it ain't broke don't fix it type  than a purist.

On another note one of the odd things about LG2s is that through at least the 1940s the bridges were thicker on the low than the high end.  I do not have a clue why Gibson went with this on the LGs.   As the early years of the 1950s were a transition period for Gibson I am also not sure if and when this feature went the way of lighter builds, tapered headstocks and side supports. 

Edited by zombywoof