Gibson Brands Forums

The Gambler. Kenny Rogers cover

rbpicker

Thanks Kelly and fortyyears.  Appreciate you giving this a listen.  I always thought it was one of KR’s best songs.  

Yes, and Lucille was a winner too.  Also liked his First Edition stuff early in his career.  He also did one called (I think) Twenty Years Ago.  It didn’t get the airplay of many others that he recorded however.

roger

Edited by rbpicker

Thanks BoSoxBiker, I’m not totally sure what you mean by simply reciting lyrics.  I’m guessing you’re referring to just naturally singing the song rather than a more mechanical interpretation.  If so, I get it, and I have been guilty of that at times.  

I find that I need to really get inside a song, almost form a mental movie of the story in my head before I can relax with it.  With this one, I have formed an image of what the inside of the train car looks like, with the two characters of the story sitting across from one another.  Then I learn the sequence of events and can start to tell the story more naturally.

probably more blah blah than you wanted, but....

roger