Gibson Brands Forums

335's Guitars from the 60's - 90's

Revelation

I found it interesting that the 1960's 335 seem to be the most popular. The brand new ones with the titanium bridges are called Gibson 335 60's guitar. But then they have these calibrated pickups that are suppose to be more like the ones from the 1970's. 

They then have the 1964 reissue which has a little warmer not as bright clear sound.  Just under $2,000 more for this guitar. 

Here is a comparison with a newer 335 and a reissue.  COMPARISON: Gibson ES-335 Figured VS Historic '63 VOS - YouTube  You can clearly hear the difference between the two. Both sound great to me and for more modern and rock music the newer 335 60's for me is my choice. 

What is it about the new 60's that makes it a 60's 335 when it has these brighter clearer pickups compared to the reissue? . How is it different from the 1970's - 1990's 335 guitars. 

I am far from an expert here.  No hands on experience with the vintage models but do own a few reissues.  From what I read on others experiences, the vintage '60s were not considered to be that bright.  When Memphis was making the last of their reissues, there were some that thought they were not bright enough. Certainly they were not as bright as the regular models, but the consensus was though they were not as bright, they did indeed more accurately nail the '60s sound.  One contributing factor was the nylon saddles.  Swapping them out for titanium saddles would brighten up the sound but ultimately take away from the historic accuracy of the sound, 

For what that's worth.

Thanks for your reply. Yes the nylon saddles gave a duller sound which is why some say they can sound muddy. I personally like the brighter sound. You can always reduce the treble on your amp as well as the tone knob to control the top end.

I am surprised how close the back pickup of my new 335 can sound like a Telecaster which is a good thing. Though I appreciate the vintage a lot, I like moving forward.

By the way the 335 book by Tony Bacon was very insightful and it has great photos. I got to learn about the 70's through the 2,000's differences.

Now to find out more about the T Top calibrated pickups and how different do they sound to other 335 pickups.

I'll have to look into getting that book, then.

I didn't respond as they've made some many little variations to the model you really DO need a book for it all.

My 07 Satin has 57 Classics, the one that is showing up tomorrow has Burstbucker 1 and 2s, for instance.  One has an unbound fret board, one doesn't,  different tuners, the ones I had in the 70s had trapeze tail pieces and one had coil tapping, the ears were spread out differently, on and on it goes.

The variations are numerous. Their Models may look similar but there have been so many changes in most Gibson Guitars over the years... Heck in a given year.. They usually have several variations of all their Guitar Models.. 6-12 of each Model.. Every year!  All different..

You might need more than one book!

Edited by Larsongs

44 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

The variations are numerous. Their Models may look similar but there have been so many changes in most Gibson Guitars over the years... Heck in a given year.. They usually have several variations of all their Guitar Models.. 6-12 of each Model.. Every year!  All different..

You might need more than one book!

There never has been any rhyme or reason to what Gibson does, just look at the serial number system. You need a slide rule and an advanced degree to understand it. Hey we ran out of these parts that go on this guitar, okay just slap on whatever is over in that bin on and ship it out.

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

There never has been any rhyme or reason to what Gibson does, just look at the serial number system. You need a slide rule and an advanced degree to understand it. Hey we ran out of these parts that go on this guitar, okay just slap on whatever is over in that bin on and ship it out.

That may one commonality they share with Fender! LOL!

• Haha 1