Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Les Paul

SCRUBS

Not sure exactly where to put this, but i have a question on an Epi Les Paul i found for sale. The owner says the back of the head stock is stamped "used" FROM the factory because it has a blemish, is this true? Or is this one of the many fakes that are floating around? I have never heard of such a thing.

Thanks for any help clearing this up.

Not sure exactly where to put this' date=' but i have a question on an Epi Les Paul i found for sale. The owner says the back of the head stock is stamped "used" FROM the factory because it has a blemish, is this true? Or is this one of the many fakes that are floating around? I have never heard of such a thing.

Thanks for any help clearing this up.[/quote']

Not trying to be condescending, but Epiphones are a whole 'nuther world.

They are made God knows where out of God knows what and the electronics in them are usually the reason for the sale.

None of the machining, none of the parts directly interchange with a Gibson except the pickups.

They may as well be made on Mars.

If it's a smoking deal, okay, but be prepared to spend some money for pots and a switch - if not pickups.

Anything stamped on the headstock like that is a mystery to me, maybe a dealer or distributor did it.

If the neck bolts onto the body, don't even bother.

Many of them don't even have a set neck and are worth jack.

This will piss off many Epiphone enthusiasts, but some of them aren't worth the lighter fluid to burn them.

There are some good ones, some really good ones now and then, but their main claim to fame is the cheap price.

That's not my first consideration when guitar shopping.

Good luck with your search, seriously.

Neo

Not trying to be condescending' date=' but Epiphones are a whole 'nuther world.

They are made God knows where out of God knows what and the electronics in them are usually the reason for the sale.

None of the machining, none of the parts directly interchange with a Gibson except the pickups.

They may as well be made on Mars.

If it's a smoking deal, okay, but be prepared to spend some money for pots and a switch - if not pickups.

Anything stamped on the headstock like that is a mystery to me, maybe a dealer or distributor did it.

If the neck bolts onto the body, [b']don't even bother[/b].

Many of them don't even have a set neck and are worth jack.

This will piss off many Epiphone enthusiasts, but some of them aren't worth the lighter fluid to burn them.

There are some good ones, some really good ones now and then, but their main claim to fame is the cheap price.

That's not my first consideration when guitar shopping.

Good luck with your search, seriously.

Neo

+1 ....

I played in a Band last year with a keyboard player that owns 3 music stores. He was selling Epi Les Pauls that he said were 2nds. He's not a Gibson dealer. He was selling them with flamed tops for $399.

I don't get it.

Gibson needs to get a handle on Epiphone, or, just let the name flounder as it is.

I don't get it.

Murph.

hey from what I know some of the older factory reject epi's were stamped as used from the factory and are blemished in some way. But I wouldn't buy it without playing it . It could be marked that way for any reason such as a small finish issues or I have also seen one marked this way because of a warped neck. So my advice would be don't buy it unless you can play before you buy. Also the newer reject epi's are marked 2nd from the factory. Also if it is marked 2nd or used it really drops the value of the guitar. So if you like it and its cheap buy it if not I would stay away.

Epiphone usually stamps the word "Used" on their B-Stock (Yes, unlike Gibson, Epiphone will send out, B-Stock guitars) models. Now, I'm not dogging Epis, because I have an Epi LP that has been the BEST! guitar I have ever owned in my 26 years on this planet, and I've owned a few, including a few Gibsons, but, that goes to show you why they don't appreciate like Gibbies, which is why most people have a hard time selling them.

Archived