Gibson Brands Forums

Pagey57

Pagey57

Gibson j200

what gauge strings is best for a j200 ?

I have extra light on at the moment starting with a 10 . I just can’t stop it pinging and buzzing I took it for a set up but he said it was the best he could do  . I was thinking about putting a medium set on it  . What’s everyone’s thoughts 

Edited by Pagey57

The strings you are using are pretty light for that size of guitar.  Generally a J-200 would use medium gauge (.012 - .053).  Using heavier gauge will allow you to raise the action some, stop the buzzing, and get that top moving more for better overall tone and volume.  Whomever did the set up should have told you the same thing - the reason he couldn't do any better was because he wasn't working with the right equipment (string gauge).  But some shops have a strict "the customer is always right" philosophy so if the guy wants to use .010 extra light strings, then this is all we can do.

I use 12-53 on mine. Usually D’Addario EXPs but they have discontinued those. Recently I’ve very much enjoyed Martin Tommy Emmanuel signature flexible core strings, a set of 12-54 Tommies would sound great on your SJ200. 10s are quite light for such a big guitar.

1 minute ago, Jinder said:

I use 12-53 on mine. Usually D’Addario EXPs but they have discontinued those. Recently I’ve very much enjoyed Martin Tommy Emmanuel signature flexible core strings, a set of 12-54 Tommies would sound great on your SJ200. 10s are quite light for such a big guitar.

My thoughts too. 10’s are pretty light. I think the lowest gauge I am using right now are 11’s, & that’s only because the guitar is 100 years old. It could probably use 12’s, 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul14 said:

My thoughts too. 10’s are pretty light. I think the lowest gauge I am using right now are 11’s, & that’s only because the guitar is 100 years old. It could probably use 12’s, 

I have a guitar which  is over 100 and use 12s.  The only guitar I string with 11s is my '32 L1.  

You may find mediums (13-56) a gigantic step backwards  in terms of playability unless you have the guitar set up for them right off the bat. If it’s currently set up for 10s, you will find that (at the very least) the neck relief will need to be adjusted to compensate for the huge change in string tension etc. A setup for 10s will have fairly high amounts of relief and action, which is required to minimise buzzing and fretting out when playing hard. 13s are the opposite-they need a much straighter neck to compensate for the extra tension, and can be dialled in for lower action as they are less prone to buzzing and flapping about. 

With your current setup I wouldn’t advise to use heavier strings than 12s. Certain strings such as Martins have a thicker core, and accordingly more string tension and stiffness, when compared with strings such as D’addarios, so if you’re absolutely sure you want to use 13s, it’s worth taking the gauge of strings you want to your luthier along with the guitar and asking him/her to set it up for them. It’s not a lengthy job (truss rod tweak, maybe a hair of height off the saddle) but is best done professionally as you’re moving up from a gauge of string which is fairly uncommon in acoustic guitar use.

• Thanks 1

thank you 

9 minutes ago, Jinder said:

You may find mediums (13-56) a gigantic step backwards  in terms of playability unless you have the guitar set up for them right off the bat. If it’s currently set up for 10s, you will find that (at the very least) the neck relief will need to be adjusted to compensate for the huge change in string tension etc. A setup for 10s will have fairly high amounts of relief and action, which is required to minimise buzzing and fretting out when playing hard. 13s are the opposite-they need a much straighter neck to compensate for the extra tension, and can be dialled in for lower action as they are less prone to buzzing and flapping about. 

With your current setup I wouldn’t advise to use heavier strings than 12s. Certain strings such as Martins have a thicker core, and accordingly more string tension and stiffness, when compared with strings such as D’addarios, so if you’re absolutely sure you want to use 13s, it’s worth taking the gauge of strings you want to your luthier along with the guitar and asking him/her to set it up for them. It’s not a lengthy job (truss rod tweak, maybe a hair of height off the saddle) but is best done professionally as you’re moving up from a gauge of string which is fairly uncommon in acoustic guitar use.