Gibson Brands Forums

Should I Install a Pickup?

Dillon K.

Should I install a 60s DeArmond 210 in my 69 J-45 or should I leave it alone and buy a new, cheaper acoustic to plug in? I am a little worried about messing up the best guitar I own, as I have never installed an acoustic pickup before. Thanks.

The DeArmond 210 is a soundhole pickup, isn't it? You can put it in and take it out. I'm not sure there is any permanent alteration to the guitar that is required. 

If you're unsure, get something that is definitely a removable soundhole pickup, like a Baggs M1. It can be used without altering the guitar, although one option is to install an endpin jack; the pickup itself is fully removable. The M1 also comes with a cord that allows the pickup to be used without an endpin jack. 

You’ll need to drill the end pin hole unless you want to leave the wires hanging out the sound hole 

like was said , a sound hole pickup does no harm apart from the drilling at the end . 
mid highly recommend a K&K pickup which will also rule out having to place anything under the saddle a la piezo variations , and also won’t interfere with the tone of the guitar , which piezos kinda do and also will require saddle lowering to accommodate the little strip of piezo 

• Like 1

I sometimes use a DeArmond pickup in my 1965 J-50 (see my avatar photo). I did drill a hole for the jack, was a bit nervous about that but it turned out fine. I have considerable woodworking experience however. If you aren't comfortable doing that, you could have a luthier do it for you.

Yeah, you could just let the cable hang out the soundhole, have seen a picture of Lightnin' Hopkins doing that with his J-50 in fact. I tried it at first and found it very awkward (not to mention ugly). But you might try like that for starters, just to see if you like the sound and then drill a hole later.

Due to the way the DeArmond mounts, it has the potential to do some minor damage (scraping the finish) around the soundhole. Not worried about that myself, but if you are very particular you might not be happy. Obviously, a magnetic pickup like the DeArmond is going to give a very different sound than modern pickups that use different technologies.

If you decide to install an Endpin jack, don’t just use a drill to make the hole, use a reamer of the correct size. This avoids any cracking or splintering.

Remember it will get hot so don’t the same mistake as I did, I had blisters on two fingers after touching the reamer too soon.

On 4/3/2021 at 12:09 AM, blindboygrunt said:

You’ll need to drill the end pin hole unless you want to leave the wires hanging out the sound hole 

like was said , a sound hole pickup does no harm apart from the drilling at the end . 
mid highly recommend a K&K pickup which will also rule out having to place anything under the saddle a la piezo variations , and also won’t interfere with the tone of the guitar , which piezos kinda do and also will require saddle lowering to accommodate the little strip of piezo 

I'm having the K&K Trinity Pro System installed on my old J-50 right now.  Forum member, Krasi swears by them, and I only WISH I could play like he does!

I'll probably get the guitar back sometime next week.

If I like it, I'll probably the same pickup on my old Dove. (won't have to buy another preamp).