Gibson Brands Forums

Which Hummingbird should I buy??

Eyal Erlich

5 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

I bought a new Hummingbird last September and could not be happier with it.  I opted for the "Hummingbird Original" model.  It has all the same features as the custom shop 1960 model with the exception of the baked top.  The baked top model is $1000 more and I don't hear it as $1000 better sounding than the one I got.  (I don't hear any difference at all, but am listening to the baked ones on-line and listening to mine in person)  Also the 1960 model has no electronics and while some people like that,  I occasionally perform in venues that require amplification so wanted a pickup.  The 1960 model only comes in the cherry finish, with the original you have a choice of cherry or natural and I wanted natural.  So for me the original model checked all the boxes and it plays and sounds wonderful.  Since you need to deal with someone on-line I would recommend Sweetwater Music, their customer service is second to none, they thoroughly check over the guitar before double packing and shipping it to you and I have had great experiences with them several times over the past 8 years.  Not sure about international shipping, but if anyone can do it right I would bet they can.

tK1BDNV.jpg

I just recently picked up a 2020 model - The same model as Twang's.  I love this Guitar - I am at the Age where I thought a smaller body Guitar would suit me better -  Well that didn't really pan out - I have been playing Dread's most of my life and they are hard to give up.   I was lucky enough to find a new HB  in a shop near me.  After playing it for a bit - I loved it! To me very Warm and Tonally equal across all the strings. I loved the way it felt in my Hands.  So I traded my 2019 Martin 000-28 and came home with this model.  Not one regret.   

• Like 4

Just my opinion, so this doesn’t necessarily make me right and someone else wrong——-But, I figure if you get a real nice guitar ( no matter the price) and it sounds good to you and you are bonding with it, then don’t worry about if it’s as loud, or sweet, or warm, or mellow as another Hummingbird, J45, D28, etc.   All this stuff related to sound, type of wood, playability is all dependent on the owner of the instrument and what they like.   Just enjoy your guitar!  If you like it, get yourself a good setup and have a blast.

Edited by MissouriPicker
  • Like 2

I have the 1960 CS Fixed Bridge, it is one of the best guitars I have ever had. The other one of the best I have ever had, really on the same level as the HB 1960, is the Sheryl Crow - plays like the HB, sounds like the HB, sensational wood grade. I will only keep one, most likely the Sheryl just because since it already has electronics and her signature. I will probably put my HB up for sale to fund my new "hobbie"... it is really hard though to part from an AWESOME guitar.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 12:43 PM, Eyal Erlich said:

1. Hummingbird standard

2. Hummingbird Deluxe

3.  Hummingbird Fixed Bridge

4. Hummingbird adjustable saddle 

5. Hummingbird 125th anniversary model

6. Hummingbird Custom shop with Thermally Aged Sitka Spruce Top

I still don't get the difference between 3 and 6. 

6 hours ago, Violeiro said:

I have the 1960 CS Fixed Bridge, it is one of the best guitars I have ever had. The other one of the best I have ever had, really on the same level as the HB 1960, is the Sheryl Crow - plays like the HB, sounds like the HB, sensational wood grade. I will only keep one, most likely the Sheryl just because since it already has electronics and her signature. I will probably put my HB up for sale to fund my new "hobbie"... it is really hard though to part from an AWESOME guitar.

If there is any way you can keep the two...imagine the joy. One in standard tuning, one in open D or DADGAD. Songs ‘til the cows come home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1