Gibson Brands Forums

Talk me down!

drathbun

Ok I need some advice here. I've developed some serious GAS for a Taylor 12 string. I've wanted one since the moment I played one about eight years ago. The only way I can finance it is to not only trade in my 2005 Yamaha FG720-12 (nice guitar for the money) but ALSO to trade in my 2004 Larrivee L05. I've been devoted to Larrivee since my 2003 L03 (traded to upgrade to the L05 - essentially the same guitar as the L03 but with gloss finish and abalone features).

I'm hoping my Songwriter will be my main acoustic. I have been playing it exclusively since I bought it in August and I haven't really gone back to the Larrivee. I like the snap and punch from the Songwriter. The Larrivee is refined, balanced and warm. It is a gorgeous guitar. However, I'm just not playing it much.

Will I regret losing it? Or will I regret not getting what I think is the best 12 string on the market?

drath, my stand is for you to own what you play. Unless you want to collect, which can become an expensive proposition. If you really think you'll play the Taylor 12 string, I say go for it, especially if you don't have a 12 string you play. That's a whole different sound to add to your arsenal.

I've been down the 'wrenching' decision road before... My advice is to put the guitars in question into your playing rotation (yes, cheat on Songwriter, temporarily give up monogamy). If the guitars don't hold your 'playing' interest, make the move. If you find out you like having access to them, come up with an alternative financing plan. Best of luck to ya.

BTW, I was just looking at some Taylors at my local shop (Elderly.com), man the DO have some nice 12-strings, some are downright gorgeous.

Moving Feast Taylor 12s!

I agree that they are generically one of the two best marques for 12s ( Other being Guild at top end)

I like the the GA8-12 but can't really justify the additional cost over the SW12. the ones I have played do seem to have a slimmer neck but I have big hands which negates that.

A little while ago Albertjohn and I tried a really really nice "basic" Taylor in Denmark Street, think it was a 455 That guitar really sang,very vibrant, very bright AJ should have bought it , but being a Butch Chartered Accountant he KNEW the credit crunch was coming!

Been a bit of a 12 string freak for many years and until I can justify a Guild F412/512 I will "make do" with the SWD 12!

Great guitar great value.

I would be the last person to talk anyone out of a GAS attack. The ONLY solution to GAS is buy the darned guitar.

The fact that when the next attack comes you will sell it is all part of the game!

Moving Feast Taylor 12s!

I agree that they are generically one of the two best marques for 12s ( Other being Guild at top end)

I like the the GA8-12 but can't really justify the additional cost over the SW12. the ones I have played do seem to have a slimmer neck but I have big hands which negates that.

A little while ago Albertjohn and I tried a really really nice "basic" Taylor in Denmark Street' date=' think it was a 455 That guitar really sang,very vibrant, very bright AJ should have bought it , but being a Butch Chartered Accountant he KNEW the credit crunch was coming!

Been a bit of a 12 string freak for many years and until I can justify a Guild F412/512 I will "make do" with the SWD 12!

Great guitar great value.

I would be the last person to talk anyone out of a GAS attack. The ONLY solution to GAS is buy the darned guitar.

The fact that when the next attack comes you will sell it is all part of the game![/quote']

Very true. I was very very tempted but it had nothing to do with my forcasting skills. Even the forcasters can't forcast. I recall it had more to do with my overdraft!

The Taylor we played would be considered overpriced now. I'm still waiting for the right one to come along. I hope and expect it will be a J185-12 for all sorts of reasons.

I stumbled across the Tak I have while playing a new SWD12 and decided it suited me for now. It's a very fine guitar indeed and I'm really pleased I bought. Not as refined as the Taylor and nowhere near an SWD12 or J185-12. The Gibsons are far superior IMHO to the basic Taylor John and I played.

Honky Dog is right. Own what you play. I doubt your 12er will be your main guitar and if you can fund the purchase of a guitar you want and will play, by passing on a couple you no longer play, I say go for it.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I discovered today that the super price I saw on the Taylor was not for the model I thought it was. The GuitarWorks here in Calgary, had a GA454ce that I had played earlier. I went in the other day and glanced at the price tag and it said $1595! I though that was an unbelievable price... and it was.

Seems they had two and when I glance I didn't notice the lack of a cutaway. It was a GA-3-12. So $1595 (Cdn.) is not a bad price but the GA454ce-12 is $2479.

Back to the drawing board... let's see... umm... if I trade-in my Strat... naw.... how 'bout my Rickenbacker.... NO! Maybe I could sell my Mustang... or my first born?

I can attest that Taylor makes, in my opinion, the best 12's on the market. I owned a Taylor 2003 454CE Ltd. with Sitka/Rosewood for a few years and loved it. It ended up being what I traded for my Gibson AJ (first the 12 string for a Taylor T5 and the T5 for the AJ but I digress....) I found myself not playing much 12 string which made me GAS for something different. As far as playability, tone, comfort and just a beauty of a guitar, the 454 LTD that I had was a beauty! That said, my AJ get's much more playing time than the 12 string did...

I can attest that Taylor makes' date=' in my opinion, the best 12's on the market. I owned a Taylor 2003 454CE Ltd. with Sitka/Rosewood for a few years and loved it. It ended up being what I traded for my Gibson AJ (first the 12 string for a Taylor T5 and the T5 for the AJ but I digress....) I found myself not playing much 12 string which made me GAS for something different. As far as playability, tone, comfort and just a beauty of a guitar, the 454 LTD that I had was a beauty! That said, my AJ get's much more playing time than the 12 string did... [/quote']

Thanks TP! It is good to hear that from an owner. I played a 454ce12 through an amazing Roland amp once, and with that Expression system I was totally blown away by the sound.

I do play the six string more than the 12, but I do a LOT of Beatles, Byrds and Lightfoot. So my cheapo Yamaha gets a fair workout.

I wonder what the GA3/12 would sound like with a Baggs iBeam active? I think I could swing that one... but the price on the "ce" models is still a bit steep.

Just my $.02, but I have regretted any time that I've sold one guitar to finance another. I'm at a point in my life now where if I can't afford the new dream guitar, then I'll sit tight until I can afford it without sacrificing another instrument. And I'm not a collector...I have three guitars that all have their uses.

Over a year ago, I started dreaming about a new J45 RW. I already had a '93 Takemine ESF93 LTD, which had been a pride and joy for many years and many gigs. Having sold guitars to finance new purchases in the past, I decided this time to sit tight. I handed my Takemine down to my 21 year old son and sat tight until I could find a way to finance the new J45 RW. I knew I could borrow it from him for gigs and I knew he loved it. I told him he is forbidded to ever sell it without talking to me first. If there is something else that he wants that badly, we can discuss alternative means. I finally got my J45 RW about 2 months ago, and I know the Takemine that saw me through so many gigs is still in the family. I had to wait longer to cure the GAS, but it was well worth it.

This stems back to an experience I had with my dad when I was a teenager. Being the supportive dad that he was, he basically let me take "ownership" of his 1964 Fender Jazzmaster that he bought brand new a year before I was born. I loved that guitar and he loved that I loved it. Then, at the very unwise age of about 20, I decided I wanted my first Strat and I went and traded that beautiful Jazzmaster in for it. Loved the Strat, but boy do my dad and I miss that old Jazzmaster. My dad always says now, if only we had stopped to think for a minute, I would have helped you find a way to purchase the Strat without selling the Jazzmaster. And then, of course, several years ago I sold that first Strat to finance a newer one. And guess what...yep, I completely regret it.

I trade in and out of amplifiers every 2-4 years, and don't have a problem in the world with that. But guitars...for me the relationship is much more intimate and meaningful.

Anyway, all that aside, I say hang on to your guitars if you love them and sit tight until you have the money together for the Taylor. Also, as I get a little older it's easier for me to keep the perspective that they'll keep making those Taylors...the one on the wall at the music store isn't the only one out there. And if they do stop making them, well, you can bet they'll have something new that you like even better when the time comes that you're prepared to make the purchase.

Just one opinion from a guitar lover in Maine.

Archived