Gibson Brands Forums

Thomastik-Infeld Spectrum strings

Jinder

Haha!  No doubt.  I consider them 'special use' strings, maybe for super lightweight parlor or 0 size guitars, so I wouldn't string up my bigger guitars with them.  They're also good for particularly brash sounding guitars.

I think 'Gimme Some Strings'  has them for around 22 bucks, still a hefty cost for something with short life span.

I’ve tried them & many others over the years for my Gibson J-160E & Martin D-35 Acoustic Electric Guitars.. It all comes down to what individually we think sounds best… 

I’m preferring Martin Retro Monels because they have a really good Acoustic & Electric sound… Most Acoustic strings sound great Acoustically but not when you play plugged in.. Electric strings work great if you’re only playing plugged in but not when you play unplugged..

The Martin Retro Monel’s are really well balanced & make both styles of playing sound great! And, they aren’t ridiculously priced like some Strings…

Edited by Larsongs

• 4 months later...

Bit late to the party, but my tuppence worth . . . I have tried several new-to-me strings on my Martin D28 in the past two years, and keep coming back to the TI Spectrums. I don’t gig at the moment, but record all the time, and these strings give me brilliant recordings. Fingerpicking or with a pick, they sound great and last longer than anything else I’ve tried. I can imagine how a sweaty two-hour gig would be better suited to cheaper strings, and I get the impression from their website that they’re seen as recording strings, so unless I win the Lottery I will put on something by DR, Pyramid or Martin for gigs, but wow, they play and record magnificently in my wee unsweaty recording room. And I find they last a couple of months easily. Love them!

• Like 1

I’ve had a set of TI Spectrum 11s on my Sigma CF100 copy for close to a year now. I just flew out to play a festival in Greece and took the Sigma as I hate flying with my Gibsons. It’s the first time I’ve gigged with it, popped my Sunrise in and boy did it sound great plugged in.

Even with over 11mths of wear on the strings they stood up to two days of rehearsing with my Greek pickup band, the show, the flight both ways and some picking since I’ve been home. Great strings! Might be time to put the fresh set on that has been lurking in the box for months though now 🙂

1 hour ago, Jinder said:

I’ve had a set of TI Spectrum 11s on my Sigma CF100 copy for close to a year now. I just flew out to play a festival in Greece and took the Sigma as I hate flying with my Gibsons. It’s the first time I’ve gigged with it, popped my Sunrise in and boy did it sound great plugged in.

Even with over 11mths of wear on the strings they stood up to two days of rehearsing with my Greek pickup band, the show, the flight both ways and some picking since I’ve been home. Great strings! Might be time to put the fresh set on that has been lurking in the box for months though now 🙂

For what T I charges for strings they better last.