Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird V Questions

ant7629

Hey guys

I am looking for some advice regarding the Firebird V. I usually play Les Pauls and SGs, but I will be purchasing a new axe pretty soon and the Firebird really caught my eye.

Can anyone offer any opinions about it, i.e. pros/cons, which model to go for, what they sound/play like? I have heard from a friend that the weight distribution is a little off balance, is this true?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ant

Sorry for this standard response but you will have to play one or two. Do not expect it to be like a Les Paul or an SG. My FB V has a very good neck pickup tone. I have been told that real vintage 60's FBs sound very different from more recent FBs with ceramic pickups.

Yes, FBs tend to be neck heavy. If you search the forum archive, you will find a variety of solutions for this problem.

Chicks dig em...

I really like mine, I did replace the p'ups because the were holding the actual sound of the guitar back...

The neck heavy issue is not really an issue...

Unless you're a 80 pound girl...

Thanks for the replies. I would really like to try a few, but they are hard to come by at the moment.

So, tone wise, do they sound more like a LP or Strat? I have read a couple of reviews that say they sound a bit 'Fenderish'.

I've got an 81 that I love. It was worked over by someone in The Murder City Devils but it plays like a dream. They also switched out the pickups with Seymour Duncans. I'd like to find originals but I love the tones. I have an American Standard Strat and it sounds nothing like the Firenird. The instrument has superior sustain due to the neck through design that drew me to this model. The banjo tuners were an adjustment but they are second nature now.

A design flaw in the case let the low E tuning peg rub a hole into the case (down to the plywood) but there were no neck issues somehow. The case was battered and in need of serious repair that I managed myself. Now my baby sits snug.

If you want to set yourself apart from the crowd of LP, SG, Strat and Tele players, jump on a Firebird.

The reverse Firebird really is in a category of its own-and it can be disturbing to switch between them and an LP, SG or Strat: the relationship neck/body/balance can have you playing in B when you think you're playing in A (or vice versa)...and I know many very good players who can switch in mid-gig between wildly different guitars but just can't get comfortable with Firebirds.

Personally, I love my Firebirds (reverse and non-reverse), and I never get tired of the sounds I can get out of older mini-humbuckers, but I would recommend trying one before buying if at all possible.

There's an amazing clip of Kal David playing an instrumental "As My Guitar Gently Weeps" on what I believe is a 65 Firebird V which I think must be bookmarked by all the Firebird nuts out there:

(Just notice the big padded strap, one of the best ways to keep a 'bird from doing a big dive...)

Thanks for the info guys. My friend has the Epiphone version, so maybe I will try his first to get some kind of feel for it.

Its either a Firebird or a 335, the latter was definite until I saw the Firebird.

Archived