Gibson Brands Forums

Black Beauty help needed

jasongtr

hi there, i am in the process of buying a 1997 les paul black beauty, the serial number on the back is 721300, does this seem ok or is it likely to be not as it seems

I am paying £1900 (gbp) so i need to be really 100% sure

many thanks for your help, if it does turn out to be correct ill be around here alot.

cheers guys' date=' i had already emailed gibson but wasnt sure if they would reply to my request in time or at all, but guitar dater shows it as a 1997 or 2007 nashville usa les paul

lookin good kids[/quote']

Strange...I put that in that number and it said:

Serial number unrecognized

Your guitar may have been made prior to 1977, in that case you may need to use the Vintage Panel, simply select all the options that best describe your guitar. If you are still having difficulties please contact the webmaster.

i just googled for pics of 77 black beauties and had a really close look. there a few details that don't tie in or make sense. look at the shape of the winders.

jasongtr is probably right, but i would still invetigate further

Have a look at the frets. They should be covered at the ends by the binding along the fretboard. (In other words the frets should appear to be integral to the white plastic binding) I can't see clearly enough from your pics. Good luck

Archived