Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson availability

Mr. Paul

Zip here - everything skun last year and no refills....

Do we assume that like the toilet paper hoarders that later wanted to return their shed load of TP (read this in a newspaper with a cackle because at the same time one of the hoarders was facing the judge for going a bit overboard with the screaming and pushing and shoving etc), will the zillion guitars get unloaded? I suspect so, guitar playing is plain hard work.

Here they are also having a shortage of used cars - also skun - nobody wants to go on a train or bus...nobody. The roads are jammed, and I got an offer for my 89 BMW 318i of about 10 times the insured value while I was in the lineup at....ha ha...McDonalds drive through for some hotcakes! (a guy down the street is obviously a used car salesman and normally has a different car or 2 out the front of his house and one for the wife, and some have been glorious beasts - but currently there is an old Hyundai 4x4 out front....is that his real car?)

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

I really like the idea CA has - of paying people $1K a month to not work.   Sort of like being employed but not having to show up. "Job" application easier to fill out.  No stigma of being called "Unemployment".  I'm guessing the  "Me Too" states that look to CA for leadership will soon follow.  Wonder if increasing the minimum wage to $15 is moot, now that employers are having to increase wages to keep up with the free money the 'Federal Window' is handing out?    That  $1K a month is hardly a 'Living Wage'.   I'm guessing Newsome will promise to double it when he runs for 're-election'.   Good Times.  

12 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Zip here - everything skun last year and no refills....

Do we assume that like the toilet paper hoarders that later wanted to return their shed load of TP (read this in a newspaper with a cackle because at the same time one of the hoarders was facing the judge for going a bit overboard with the screaming and pushing and shoving etc), will the zillion guitars get unloaded? I suspect so, guitar playing is plain hard work.

Here they are also having a shortage of used cars - also skun - nobody wants to go on a train or bus...nobody. The roads are jammed, and I got an offer for my 89 BMW 318i of about 10 times the insured value while I was in the lineup at....ha ha...McDonalds drive through for some hotcakes! (a guy down the street is obviously a used car salesman and normally has a different car or 2 out the front of his house and one for the wife, and some have been glorious beasts - but currently there is an old Hyundai 4x4 out front....is that his real car?)

BluesKing777.

at least where i live in a major city, the last 90 days have been totally transformative with vaccine rollout and kids all getting back in school in person full time. after working from home since march 2020 ill be heading back into my office this summer. the next 90 days are going to be as transformative and people will start realizing that the at home entertainment party is over and they still haven't learned the Bieber songs on that Gibson and their peloton has become a towel rack. there's a pinch on cars creating an insane market but that will alleviate as well, and containers will start leaving ports again. 6-12 months everything is normal again and people start wondering why they bought everything at the top of the market. Quarantine-brain is real!

4 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I really like the idea CA has - of paying people $1K a month to not work.   Sort of like being employed but not having to show up. "Job" application easier to fill out.  No stigma of being called "Unemployment".  I'm guessing the  "Me Too" states that look to CA for leadership will soon follow.  Wonder if increasing the minimum wage to $15 is moot, now that employers are having to increase wages to keep up with the free money the 'Federal Window' is handing out?    That  $1K a month is hardly a 'Living Wage'.   I'm guessing Newsome will promise to double it when he runs for 're-election'.   Good Times.  

I'm starting to think the minimum wage is too low if unemployment pays better than being employed. didn't think i'd find myself siding with RCT so quickly in this thread, but demonizing the labor force as lazy (i imagine the floor workers in bozeman would have something to say reading this thread) really ignores the blatant cashgrabs going on like this one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember reading somewhere, maybe in school, that the US had one of the highest 'worker productivity' rates in the world.   I guess if I wanted to change that - I'd figure out ways to hand out free money.  And make college degrees worth less.   At least, less than what you paid for them... plus interest.  Nothing destroys a persons spirit - feeling of 'self-worth' than telling them they are worth less.  Increasing the minimum wage is a more subtle way of doing that. 

On 5/16/2021 at 2:59 PM, Boyd said:

Shouldn't have looked, as I saw one that interested me at a reduced price. 😅

After a lot of hand-wringing, I ended up buying it! First guitar purchase in six years, all goes to show that GAS may go into remission but you're never completely cured. 🤣

Obviously, it depends on what you're looking for but I found quite a bit of stock of this guitar, the 60's J-50 reissue that Gibson introduced a couple years ago. This one really interested me and I followed prices for awhile but never saw any below the list of $2500. I'm partial the the J-50, my first acoustic guitar was a J-50 Deluxe that I bought new in 1974, I gave that one to my son in law a number of years ago. Now I have a 2006 J-50 Modern Classic and a vintage 1965 J-50 ADJ. I like the skinny neck on the 1965 guitar but also like the sound of the 2006, so this re-issue looks perfect for me - the new Gibson sound with a skinner neck and updated ADJ bridge. According to the specs, my 2006 J-50 has a V-shaped neck with 1.725" nut and this new 60's re-issue has a round profile with 1.69" nut. Hard for me to visualize this without trying, but it appears to be closer to a comfortable size for me.

Have never seen one of these in person though, so it's a gamble - first time I've ever bought online without trying a guitar. Am having it shipped to my local Guitar Center though, so they can confirm it arrives in good condition and their return policy should protect me if I'm not happy. Here's the guitar on Gibson's site.

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACC26R79/60s-J-50-Original/Antique-Natural

Regarding "Gibson Availability", it wasn't a problem with this guitar. Sweetwater had two new ones in stock and also had a demo at a 10% discount. That was still more than I wanted to spend. But to my surprise, Guitar Center had a used one in "very good condition"  for considerably less. 

Will see how it works out next week when it arrives. Have taken several months off from playing in order to write computer code full-time but recently started practicing again. Am looking forward to getting back into playing, my family will be visiting this summer and we're planning a big "show" and video shoot at my Little Theatre in the Woods for the first time in two years!

Edited by Boyd