Gibson Brands Forums

Howdy, a new member from Iowa.

OldGibson

I just acquired an LG0 and it hasn’t had much play. The original strings are on it and we’re not rusty. They were loosened over the years. I talked to the elderly lady who owned it. She said her husband bought it for her and she ever did play it.  I didn’t know it was anything until I happened to see somebody playing it on YouTube. I’ll be getting back to her once zI find out what it is worth. So I found this site after I was looking around.  I also have a 1927 L4 snakehead arch top that I’ve had since the 60’s.  Looking forward to reading your posts.

Good morning, OldGibson. 
Nice to have you aboard. 

The Gibson L0 was made from 1958 until 1974. 
It was considered a student, entry-level guitar when it was first offered. 

Mahogany back and sides, with a rosewood bridge in the early days, and then a screw-in plastic bridge from 1963 on. 
Various features will help to date it, I am told. 

Worth anywhere from  $1,200 (for a mint-condition late-1950's one) all the way down to 300 bucks for a 1970's version. 

I see most going for around $500 to $800, depending upon condition and originality of parts and bits. 

🙂

On 5/18/2021 at 8:32 PM, OldGibson said:

I just acquired an LG0 and it hasn’t had much play. The original strings are on it and we’re not rusty. They were loosened over the years. I talked to the elderly lady who owned it. She said her husband bought it for her and she ever did play it.  I didn’t know it was anything until I happened to see somebody playing it on YouTube. I’ll be getting back to her once zI find out what it is worth. So I found this site after I was looking around.  I also have a 1927 L4 snakehead arch top that I’ve had since the 60’s.  Looking forward to reading your posts.

Welcome aboard OldGibson. Nice to have you hear, Where at in Iowa do you live?  I was born in Sioux City & my parents moved to Council Bluffs when I was 2.  When I married, my wife already had a nice home in Omaha so Ive been in Nebraska ever since. 

• 2 weeks later...

We moved from southern Illinois near St Louis when I retired. Moved to my wife’s family farm near LeGrand, Iowa. This is near Marshalltown. I do have some family near here. I did grow up in southern Missouri in the Ozarks where I started playing a guitar in 1958.  Time does fly.

On 6/1/2021 at 7:26 PM, OldGibson said:

We moved from southern Illinois near St Louis when I retired. Moved to my wife’s family farm near LeGrand, Iowa. This is near Marshalltown. I do have some family near here. I did grow up in southern Missouri in the Ozarks where I started playing a guitar in 1958.  Time does fly.

Yes indeed it does. Since I retired 9 years ago, time just seems to fly by way too fast.  Anyway, hope you enjoy yourself here. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi OldGibson, small world.  I spent some time in Marshalltown Iowa back in the 80's/90's.  Big difference from New Jersey, but we really enjoyed our time there.

Spent a bit time in the area, especially at Rube's Steakhouse.  Had a blast while working out there.  Enjoy your time here.