Gibson Brands Forums

Alex Lifeson McDLT mod details wanted

I finally found an owner willing to part with his Alex Lifeson Axcess Les Paul, and while I am thrilled with the guitar itself, the sound is not happening for me.   I have plugged it into my EVH 100 watt stack, my 6505+ stack and my Bogner Goldfinger 45 stack and it is a muddy mess no matter which push/pull switch I adjust.  I swapped the 9 volt battery and then started to read about how this is a common issue and there is a McDLT mod that separates  the 'mag' output from the piezo part.  There is an interview where Lifeson actually confirmed that HE has his own signature models re-wired this way!   However, while many here claim to have had it done to great effect, I can't seem to find the actual wiring schematic. 

Can anyone share it?

Thanks in advance.

lifeson lex.jpg

• 3 months later...

The Epiphone version may help with some explanation how everything works.

A Stunningly Versatile Les Paul Made in Collaboration With the Rush Legend (copied from the Epiphone site)

In his work with Rush, Alex Lifeson has redefined the boundaries of progressive rock guitar, with playing that soars beyond the drama and the bluster to reveal truly stunning virtuosity that has been praised and admired by fans—and players—of all stripes. Created through extensive work with Alex Lifeson and Gibson™, Epiphone's Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess Standard similarly redefines the boundaries of the classic Les Paul™ in an accessible package. This guitar carries all of the traditional tones that have made the Les Paul legendary, along with unprecedented levels of sonic and performance versatility. The Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess Standard carries powerful Epiphone Ceramic Pro neck and ProBucker 3 bridge pickups with coil-splitting options via their push-pull volume controls and a Graph Tech Ghost Floyd Rose system that not only provides the world's most efficient vibrato but is also loaded with Ghost piezo bridge saddles. Access traditional magnetic humbucker tones, mix it up with coil-split options, tap the Ghost's realistic acoustic tones, or blend acoustic and magnetic voices — the sky's the limit from this sonic chameleon, whose sound-shifting depths are virtually limitless. You can route it all through a traditional mono jack or use two cables for individual magnetic and piezo outputs. All this and the Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess Standard still presents that timeless Les Paul look that has remained a classic for more than 60 years. An EpiLite™ case is also included.

Edited by mihcmac

2 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I just drove up to McDonald's and tried to order a McDLT. 

They looked at me like I was crazy. 

I get that a lot. 

😞

I remember the McDLT. They came with the two halves separated so the lettuce didn't get soggy or some such gimmick.