Gibson Brands Forums

Compare a 2012 Guild D-55 with a 2012 SJ-200

lhnewman

so I am trying to fill in the gaps in my small guitar selection..I have owned and played  a  1975 Martin D-35 since 1980 ( thought it was a 73' until I checked serial # ) and recently purchased a 2012 Guild D-55 for a brighter, bigger sound ( even though it has Rosewood back and sides ).....I'm looking at a 1996 Dove and a 2012 SJ-200 to fill in the gaps ( Walnut )...my question is do you think my Guild compares and fills the gap to what I would get with the SJ-200 and I should move towards the Dove...I have never played an SJ-200...they are next to impossible to find used....Newman

Most Doves and most 200’s are Maple back and sides, if that makes a difference to you. There are exceptions, of course, but when someone mentions either of those two, I think of maple. Pretty bright and quick decaying. 

Yes I’ve owned several  guilds. I like them.  A D-55 just isn’t anything like a J-200. Don’t care what year it was made.. apples, to oranges. Not saying one is better than the other, just entirely different.  The Dove is very different too. I’m not one to try & explain sound,  other than to say these guitars are different. Would be very helpful for you to play these guitars. The closest I have currently to a D-55 is a J-45 Rosewood. It is nothing like a D-55 Guild.  An Advanced Jumbo, would be  more comparable   to a D-55, but again,,,,,,different. Either a D-55, or an Advanced Jumbo, would have no problem drowning out my Rosewood J-45.  Off the top of my head ( a shot in the dark) , if I were in your situation, I would choose the Dove. Simply because of its age.

Edited by Paul14

On 5/21/2021 at 5:44 AM, lhnewman said:

...my question is do you think my Guild compares and fills the gap to what I would get with the SJ-200...

As mentioned, they're going to be different since the D55 is a dread and the SJ200 is a jumbo (or "super jumbo" in Gibson parlance).   Comparable to the SJ200 would be the jumbo Guild F-55, previously named the F-50.  Comes in solid rosewood backed or braceless arched maple.  Either way, the Guild is going to have an ebony fretboard; not so the Gibson....

Guild F-50R:

f50r557.jpg

you are correct Cougar...only reason I asked is that my D-55 is very powerful, and lovely action ...I own a D-35 Martin as well ( 1975 ) and I'm looking for one more guitar to fill in the blanks.....I play Prine, Townes, folk/country on my Martin......Petty, etc on my Guild.....I'm not a huge strummer, and I fingerpick with fingers only so I though the SJ-200 ( with its volume ) would be good for singer/light picker and add the Walnut flavor....thoughts?  if you've ever played a SJ 200 is it hard to get your right arm around the top?