Gibson Brands Forums

Knowing the Guitar exact model only with S/N - possible ?

ypaul123

Hello,

I was wondering if it's possible to know the guitar exact  model only by its serial number ( which is 00402597 ) ? the seller told me it was a Les Paul Standard Plus, and I just want to confirm this.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

No - its just a number unique to that guitar, but it does not identify the model. The first 5 numbers do tell  you the date it was stamped or made though. At least that is how it was a few years back, but Gibson changes their serial number scheme constantly.

Now I'm sure Gibson has that in their data base, but we are certainly not privy to it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

The model type can usually be found, at least in the past, penciled or markered into the body under one or both pickups.  That's how they used to do it.   LPSP should be under one of the pickups.  i assume so the next guy knows what top to take out of the big plastic bin of tops.

rct

• Haha 1

I contacted Gibson Customer Service and they were able to provide me this email:

Thanks for contacting Gibson Brands. Your serial number was used on a 2005 Les Paul Standard Faded model which had satin honeyburst finish, nickel hardware, ‘50’s round profile mahogany neck with rosewood fingerboard, mahogany body with carved maple top and Burstbucker Pro humbucking pick-ups.